E I G H T | S E C R E T S

E I G H T
S E C R E T S

E I G H TS E C R E T S

"Catherine, it's mom." I knew it wasn't good, it couldn't be. Not with the way his voice cracked. I didn't want to cry, or make it noticeable to Justin that this was a bad situation.

"What about mom, is she fine?" I whispered while looking at Justin who had furrowed eyebrows. "Please tell me she is."

"She's in a coma, I don't know what to do. They won't let me in to see her, please come here." I didn't realize that I had dropped my phone, nor did I care. I brought my hands to my face and sobbed into them, not caring at this point who saw me.

"Cat? What's wrong?" He hurried and rushed to my side. Grabbing my phone from the floor and talking to me brother. It had never gotten this bad, yeah she would faint and have strokes, but never a coma.

"Why didn't you ever tell me your mom was hospital bound?" I moved my hands away from my face and looked up at Justin who was obviously hurt by this. "I don't really tell anyone." I sniffled and grabbed a napkin, wiping away the tears. "Can you give me a ride to the hospital?"

"Of course, come on." Before leaving, Justin left a hundred dollar bill on the table and grabbed my hand, running to the front and exiting the door to where his car was parked. Within a minute, the two of us get in and he speeds off to the hospital.

8:31 — After a long drive on the highway to the hospital, and as we drove to the front of the hospital, I was about to get out but Justin locked the door and looked over at me. "I'm going with you." With my teary eyes, I blinked and nodded, knowing that I needed support during a moment like this.

So instead of getting off at the entrance, he drove to the parking lot and the two of us got out, me clinging onto his arm while silently sobbing. "Margot Estelle. I'm her daughter." I told the receptionist once we walked inside the hospital. The nurse smiled at me before having me sign a paper, and then gave Justin and I the visitor sicker.

"I know it's a terrible moment but you have a beautiful last name." Justin whispered beside my ear and a small smile appeared on my face, which I know he noticed because he also had a huge smile plastered onto his features. "Thanks for being such a great friend and coming, it means a lot."

"Anything for you, so you don't mind telling me what's going on? Your brother just told me she was in a coma and critical condition." My eyes filled with tears as I thought about my mom but I nodded. "She has brain cancer, I believe it's stage two. We found out a little over a year ago and I didn't really take it well. My mom's like my best friend and I used to depend on everything for her. She really was my role model so when she told me she had cancer, I shut her out for a week. I didn't talk to her because I was mad at the fact that it happened to her, and she doesn't deserve it. After a few months of treatment, my dad ran away. I don't know where or with who but I haven't talked to him since then."