S I X T E EN | N E R V O U S

S I X T E EN
N E R V O U S

The wind was blowing in our hair as we drove down the highway with the windows down, on our way to the hospital

The wind was blowing in our hair as we drove down the highway with the windows down, on our way to the hospital. We were currently both singing along to despacito, or at least Justin was trying to. "So you sang those lines over and over again, until it sounded at least somewhat good but you don't understand anything but two words."

"It's terrible, I don't know why I agreed to do it. Its gotten so much backlash because no one can hear me jokingly sing the song. I don't know spanish, I wish I did so I could sing the song correctly. But maybe you can teach me spanish, you actually sound so cute." He smirked while looking over at me.

"I grew up in a latino household, not my fault." I laughed and looked out the window, seeing that we were close to the hospital. "Please don't miss the exit like last time."

"I'll try not to. What's the update on your mom, still not awake?"

"Not from what I know of, I also haven't heard from my brother. He has gone off the radar." Driving towards the exit, my phone buzzed on my leg and I unlocked it to see a message from Ana.

ana:
i know you're with justin rn
elise told me
but do you think that
the two of you could possibly come after

cat:
sure, what for?
is it an emergency?

ana:
i just need to talk to you about something
and i think justin should be here for that as well

"Ana wants us to stop by the studio after the hospital." He simply nodded as he continued driving, focused on the road since he always got lost when we would come to the hospital.

After a few minutes, the two of us got out of his car and walked into the hospital, welcomed with the scent of hand sanitizer and alcohol. Oh how I love the hospital.

"Is it weird that I'm nervous?" I shook my head and looked down at our hands, only to intertwine them together. "Don't be, she's not even awake."

Or so I thought. We neared the room she'd been stuck in for the past few months only to hear laughing come from the other side of the door. Her laugh.

I let go of his hand and ran straight into the room, ignoring the fact that I stubbed my toe against the wall. "Mom." I breathed in deeply, taking in the sight of her. She was smiling, she looked healthy. She's awake.

But she wasn't alone, because sitting beside her was my brother who was no giving me an annoyed look. "You're awake, oh my god". I laughed lightly as I approached her, ignoring the look that my brother was currently giving me.

"Yes I am, I've been awake since yesterday morning."
I took a few steps back and looked over at my brother who had his lips tightly shut. "You, you knew and you didn't tell me." I pointed my finger at him and walked over to where he was, staring at him even though he couldn't look me in the eyes. "What is up with you? Why couldn't you tell me that she'd woken up? Were you trying to keep it a secret or something, because that obviously wouldn't work out since I visit her almost every day. Ever since that day you met Justin, you've been acting up."

"I have a reason to act up." He mumbled which made me scoff, my eyes widening." A reason? Or do you just want to be a straight up asshole."

"Catherine Joanne Estelle, please watch what you're saying. He's your brother."

"Mom, he practically said that I was using Justin for his money. I don't care if I was homeless, I would never do such a thing. I work day and night to afford your treatment and make sure that you get the best. It's hard for me to do all this because he doesn't help. I don't remember the last time he gave me anything to help support you. God knows what he's doing with his money."

I could tell that my brother was infuriated with what I had said, due to the look on his face. "Thanks for that. You're definitely the best when it comes to being a snitch."

"It's called being protective. Joshua, es tu hermana. Se supone que tu debes de estar al lado de ella. No importa con quien anda con, got it? No es asunto tuyo." It was now quiet in the room after my mom had spoken up.

I turned around to see that Justin wasn't in the room, and I was thankful for that because he knew that at times like these, it was best to keep his distance. "I don't feel like talking about this anymore. It is what it is, I'll pay this month and you don't have to worry about it Catherine. Mom, I'll call you tonight." My brother kissed her cheek and shoved his way past me, leaving the room.

"Ignore him baby, you know how he gets. Just like your father." She laughed lightly as I approached her and sat down beside her, being careful that I wasn't hurting her or anything. "So what did they tell you about the coma you were in?"

"It helped with the cancer. I haven't progressed one bit, not yet at least. It's increased my health so I'm thankful for that." I smiled as I held onto her hand, happy that she was in a state of mind where I don't have to worry about her as much as I usually do. "So who is this new boy in your life?"

"His name is Justin. We met because he wanted a tattoo done and it just started off from there. We're not dating though, we're just friends." I looked at my mom to see her smirking, knowing that she would say something about us being just friends but thankfully, Justin had walked into the room which stopped her from doing so.

"I uh, I hope I didn't uh interrupt."

"You didn't, I told you that you don't have to be nervous."

"Yeah but this is different. She's awake. I have to make a good impression."

"I'm awake, I can hear you." I smiled as I heard my mom talk from behind me. I got up and walked over to Justin, wrapping my arm around his waist as we calked closer to my mom. "Justin, this is my mom. Mom, this is Justin."