T H I R T Y - E I G H T | C A L L

T H I R T Y  -  E I G H TC A L L

T H I R T Y - E I G H T
C A L L

T H I R T Y  -  E I G H TC A L L

"I love you, and I miss you

"I love you, and I miss you."

The voicemail ended, my fingers hovering over the side button of my phone as I questioned wether I should lock it or if I should return the call.

We've been in Los Angeles for less than 24 hours now. My feet were aching and my back needed some support, but I wasn't going to tell Justin that. Not when he was smiling like he'd just been told the best news. I couldn't ruin that.

We were both, or should I say I was, sitting on a couch that was inside of a studio. It took me by surprise when we landed and instead of going to his house to unpack and relax, he drove straight over here and decided that he would rather record all day if that meant he could spend more time with me later on. Not that I'm complaining though, I'm forward to it just being the both of us alone.

"If you could maybe hum to the beat in the beginning of the record. I think that would sound great." Looking over to where I was sat, he formed his fingers into a thumbs up and just as I was about to do the same, my phone began to vibrate in the back of my pocket. "If he asks, tell him it's my mom." I mumble to the producer whilst I stood up from the couch and answered the call.

"Hello?" I spoke into the phone, a loud barking in the background making me wince as I stepped out of the studio through the back door and laid against a wall.

"Mama, how are you? How was the flight? How's the weather? Te estas portando bien?" Laughing, I look around since it was now a forced habit and sighed. "I'm tired."

"Tired? That's all I get. I want a summary. How's his place?"

"Yeah, I'm tired. The plane ride was fine actually, my anxiety wasn't as bad. We landed and left without a problem, but we came straight to the studio. Which, I'm completely okay with but I'm actually really hungry now that I think about it. He just is so happy here, it's weird. He's told me before that he preferred Miami because it's not like Los Angeles. I don't know, maybe I'm just reaching too far and taking it all out if context. That's what I'm doing, right?"

"Mija, he's there to work. You knew that, he told you. You don't have to be with him either though, don't be stuck to his side while he's working. You can go on a tour of the city, go shopping, go to the beach. Venture out on your own."

"Yeah." I mumbled, knowing that a part of me wasn't thinking for myself. "I need to be independent."

"Exactly, now go and do something on your own. But talk to him too, remember that communication is important. Now, I have to go watch my soap opera. Love you."

Not letting me say it back, the call ended and I looked up to see that the sun was setting, my eyes looking around before deciding to go back into the studio.

"I was just about to go and get you. I got us a reservation at Nobu. The place I told you about. I was hoping — wait, Cat. What's the face for?" With my lips in between my teeth, I shake my head and put a smile before speaking.

"Just got off the phone with my mom and I just miss her, that's all. Now, Nobu?"

 Now, Nobu?"

I understand that this is really short but it has to do with the way I'm working the plot out now. It's an update, a small one but don't worry. I will be updating again in a few days.