Chapter 32

⬆Tyler Posey as Jesse Garcia-Cruz⬆

Danielle's p.o.v

I watched people rush around the airport, some are hurrying to their flights, some running to what I believe are loved run, and some were just loitering around. Alysha stood by the window, talking to Mike, while Erin and Tony went to go get us some food while we wait for the guys to come pick us up, leaving me and Victoria alone. Jessica wouldn't come along due to family emergency, so she was back in California.

I looked down at Victoria and brushed a stray of her brown hair behind her ear and rubbed her back. It was sweltering hot here in Cleveland, and Victoria was wearing a black long sleeve shirt. I could understand that she felt self conscious about her scars, but she could have at least worn something like bracelets. She whimpered and cuddled closer to me, her breathing labored.

"Shhh, it's okay, baby. Nothing's going to hurt you. You're safe," I assured her.

I frowned. I just fed her a white lie. I could try to protect her from the dangers of the world, sure, but how can I possibly protect her from the dangers of her mind? It seems as if her PTSD is just getting worse by the second. While we were on the plane overnight, Victoria had a panic attack and broke down. I didn't know how to calm her down, and I soon broke down in tears because I couldn't help her. She decided to lock herself in the bathroom when Alysha until we landed. By the time we finally landed, Alysha came out with Victoria sleeping on her shoulder. She told me that she tired herself out and fell asleep, but her sudden exhaustion couldn't keep her nightmares. If it wasn't for Tony, I would have gotten into a fight with some bitch who was talking shit about Victoria, calling her a freak of nature and a weirdo.

"They're on their way. The taxi broke down, so they're going to be running a little late," Alysha informed me as she took her seat next to me.

I nodded absentmindedly, continued to comb my fingers through her hair. "Danielle, are you okay? You're crying," she said. I touched the side of my face and glanced at my fingertips. Sure enough, they were damp. I didn't even realize that I was crying until now. How long have I been shedding tears. "I... I just want her to be happy. After everything she's gone through- neglect, abuse, loneliness. She deserves to live a normal fourteen-year-old girl. Her mind shouldn't be clouded with thoughts about how many times she can self harm herself, or how many bottles of pills she can take until she's gone for real. She's not even my child, and I love this girl to death. She can't sleep without having nightmares, she refuses to eat anything, I can't remember the last time she picked up her guitar." 

I stopped and gathered my breath. At this point, I was bawling. Alysha stood up and pulled me into a hug. I sobbed on her shoulder, burying my head in her neck. "I know. We're all feeling the same way. We all want Victoria to be happy. But we can't wish on a wishing star and expect that to happen, no matter how much we want it to. We have to stick by her side like glue, watch her take her meals, go to every therapy appointment, and wait for the end results. Behind every cloudy sky, there's sunshine."

I pulled away and wiped off my tears. Thank God I wore waterproof mascara. "She's only going to get worse as long as you keep thinking those poisonous thoughts," Alysha said. I nodded and smiled. 

"Daddy," I heard Victoria yawn out.

I looked at her and across the airport. It took me a while, but I spotted Vic, Mike and Jaime talking to Tony and Erin. Victoria slipped out her chair and waddled over to Vic, dragging her suitcase behind her. "Daddy! Daddy!" She yelled. Vic looked at her and bent down, catching her in his arms and and scooping her up.  "I missed you, daddy."

"I missed you too, mija. I missed the both of you," Vic said, pecking my lips quickly.

"Hime-Time needs some love too, Baby Fuentes," Jaime said.