•one•

(miya's p.o.v)

"Okay, but Rick is the best character," Jason said.

"No, he's not. Maggie is. She's lost everything and she's still stronger than anyone in the show, including Rick," I argued back. We were arguing about who the best character in the Walking Dead is.

"You're just saying that because she's a girl and you're a feminist," he turned back to the TV.

"Jason, I'm not a feminist. Not every girl is a feminist," I laughed.

After a few minutes, there was a knock at the door. I quickly tried to get up but Jason pulled me back.

"No, don't get it," he said.

"Jason, it's probably just Kate. She forgets her key 99% of the time," I pushed his hands off of me, laughing, and run to open the door. I quickly turned the knob and pulled the door open. My smile slowly faded at who was standing on the front porch.

Carl?

"H-Hi, Miya. I'm back," he said, giving me an anxious smile and a small wave. Is he really here? Is this really happening?

I had to fight the urge to jump into his arms. He looks so good. His hair is just as perfect and curly as it was before and he looks so much more... mature and built.

"Babe, who is it," I heard Jason call. I didn't answer and just stared at Carl. God, he's so beautiful.

"Uh, you gonna say something or just stare at me," Carl giggled awkwardly.

"H-Hi," I said, I tried to smile at him but I don't think it worked.

"Who is it," Jason asked, getting up and walking over to the door. I quickly broke my gaze and wrapped my arm around Jason's waist.

"Jason, this is Carl. Carl, this is Jason. Carl is an old friend. He's been away at military school for a little over a year now," I introduced the both of them.

"I'm Miya's boyfriend," he said, offering his hand out.

"N-Nice to meet you," Carl shook Jason's hand as his smile faded. "Well, I just, uh, wanted to see you. I guess I'm gonna get back home now." He turned to walk away.

"Are you going to school Wednesday," I asked. He turned back around and smiled.

"Yeah, I'll see you there," was all he said before turning away and walking next door. I shut the door as he walked down the front steps and turned to face Jason.

"He's seemed pretty upset when you told him about me being your boyfriend," Jason said.

"Oh, no," was all I could manage to say. I didn't know how to tell him that Carl is my ex. Well, I don't even know if I should consider him my ex because we never really broke up. Wait, would that mean that I'm cheating on him? No, that's not what it means.

"Are you sure there's nothing you want to tell me about him," Jason asked, a serious tone in his voice. I went to say something, I don't know what exactly, but was interrupted when his phone began to ring. He pulled it out of his pocket and answered it. "I'm at Miya's... Yeah... Okay... Yeah, whatever. I'll be there soon." He hung up and put his phone back in his pocket. "I gotta go babe, I'll see you Wednesday." He kissed me on the cheek and walked out.

•••

Wednesday came by fast as I woke up to my abnoxious alarm. I quickly hopped out of bed and brushed my teeth. When I finished, I walked back into my room and looked through my closet. I decided to wear something casual. I picked out a black, long sleeved, tight crop top, adidas sweatpants and my adidas shoes. I walked over to my dresser and looked through my jewlery. I decided to wear hoop earrings, a bracelet, and a few rings. Then, I picked out a watch I got from Ian for my 16th birthday and put it on. Then, I put my hair into braids and picked up my glasses and set them on top of my head. I did some light make up and when I was finished I studied myself in the mirror. I don't look too bad.

I decided to take a selfie because I haven't taken one in awhile. I walked into the hallway where a long mirror was hung up on the wall. I knelt down and set my phone infront of my face and took the picture. I posted it on Instagram with the caption 'First Day Of School🙄📚'.

I grabbed my bookbag and threw it over my shoulders just as my phone made a 'ding' sound.

Debs💞: outside. hurry your ass up!

Mi🤘🏼: okay. chill.

I put my phone in my pocket and grabbed my headphones off of my dresser and ran out the door.

"See ya later, Kate. Bye, Lip," I called out. I walked out of the house before I got an answer and saw Debbie leaned up against the gate. She turned around once she heard my front door close.

"Ready for our first day of junior year," she asked me. I giggled at her and we hooked our arms together.

"Hell yeah," I said. We began to make our way to school.

"Hey, wait up," we both turned around to see a sprinting Carl behind us.

"I thought you already left for school," Debbie asked.

"No," he said as he made he way beside me. I kept my head down and tried not to make eye contact. It was a quick, but silent, walk to school. When we got there I was relieved.

"Hey, Miya," I turned my head and saw Dominique waving at me. I smiled and waved back as she jogged over to me. "What classes do you have," she asked showing me her schedule. I pulled my schedule out of my bookbag.

"Uh, English 1st, Health 2nd, Science 3rd, Math 4th, History 5th, Drawing 6th, and Spanish 7th. How 'bout you," I asked her.

"Oh, I have English 1st, Science 3rd, and Drawing 6th, too," she said excitedly.

"Sweet," I answered as I put my schedule back into my bookbag.

"I have History 5th and Spanish 7th as well," Debbie said.

"Uh, we basically have the same schedule. Except I don't take Spanish," Carl said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"What? Let me see," I grabbed his schedule from him and looked over it. He was right, we have every single class together except Spanish. Great. "Uh, cool. Guess we can catch up or something."

It's not that I don't want any classes with Carl and I don't want to see him or talk to him or whatever. It's just gonna be really awkward.

"Yeah," he nodded as I handed him back his schedule.

This is going to be a long year.

---

a/n: hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter!!