twenty-nine

(time skip)

"Guess what," Debbie greeted me at the lunch table with an excited look on her face.

"What," I asked, laughing at her excitement.

"You're supposed to guess," she squealed. My face dropped and I gave her a death stare.

"No I'm not," I said in a serious tone. "Just tell me what the hell I'm supposed to be guessing."

"In two months, we'll technically be seniors," she squealed again. I slowly shook my head at her. Last month she said 'Three months until we're seniors'.

"Debbie, can you please tell me something I don't already know," I said sarcastically.

"Okay, fine. Carl's been talking about you non-stop the past five months about you and you haven't said a single word about or to him. He wants you back," Debbie's fac went straight.

"So," I shrugged, pretending like I didn't care. However, truth be told, I miss him like crazy. "He left me. Not the other way around." After I got the abortion, Carl stopped talking to me for awhile. One day I finally had enough of his bullshit so I asked him what his problem was and he told me he didn't want to be with me anymore. I guess he cared more about being a teen parent than actually being with me.

"I'm just asking why you haven't said anything about him. I mean, he's your everything-"

"He was my everything, Debbie," I corrected her. She sent me a 'bitch please' face. "Look it's not my fault he cared more about the pregnancy than he cared about me."

"Miya, he's still your everything. I can tell by the way you 'accidently' stare at him in class. Anyways, I think he just felt bad because you made the decision to have the abortion without talking to him first," she explained.

"What was there to talk about? He wanted to keep the baby, I didn't," I took a bite of my apple. "Plus, it's my body. I'm the only one that has a say in what I do with it. Especially now, since I'm an adult," I smiled proudly.

"Yeah, me too," Debbie said. "Still, you're gonna have to talk to him sooner or later."

"Maybe it wasn't meant to be, Debs," I stated. She looked at me like she wanted to hear more. "Look, Kate and Lip started a life together. They are a happy couple, technically raising two kids, if you count me. Carl and I tried to be happy, didn't exactly work out. Plus, Lip and Carl are brothers. Don't you think it's weird dating your sister's boyfriend's brother?" I raised my eyebrows and took another bite of my apple.

"No, not exactly. I've done it once, but it was my brother's girlfriend's brother," she stated.

"Yeah? And how'd that work out," she pursed her lips and looked away.

"Hey, I meant to ask awhile ago. Did you ever get ahold of Dom," she asked. I shook my head.

"Nope," I said, popping the 'p'. "Who knows what happened to her." Debbie shrugged just before the bell for fifth period rang.

•••

I walked into sixth period with Jason. Yes, Jason. No, we aren't back together. No, we aren't friends either. But, the principal saw us fighting again one day and told us that we had to atleast be aquaintances. Which, I think is ridiculous because why do I need to be an aquaintance to my ex? On the other hand, Jason is loving it. He used every excuse he could to talk to me and I couldn't say anything about it.

I took my usual seat at my table behind Jason and infront of Carl. I know, it's a really bad seat for my case. Dominique isn't here anymore. So, drawing class isn't as exciting as it was before.

As Ms. Parker finished her directions, everyone did what they were told. I walked across the room and grabbed a clean piece of paper and a drawing pencil. As I turned around, I accidently bumped into to someone. That 'someone' being Carl.

"Hey," he mumbled, an awkward smile on his face.

"Hi," I said rather rudely.

"How, uh, how are you," he shoved his hands in his pockets.

"I'm doing great, Carl. How about you," I said sarcastically, my face red and full of anger. His smile faded as I pushed past him and went back to my seat.

"Yikes. That was awkward," Jason chuckled. I sent him a death glare. "Sorry." He threw his hands up in defence. I looked away from him and began my drawing. I didn't get too far before he spoke again. "Look, I have no idea what I'm doing. Can you help me," he slid his paper over to me. I looked down at the paper at what look like a pear.

"The assignment was draw something that you love. Why are you drawing pears," I asked him.

"It's a car," he defended. I tried my hardest not to laugh as I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Ohh," I whispered, scooting the paper back to him and continuing my drawing.

"I was gonna draw you, but I'm not talented enough to draw something as beautiful as you," I could hear the cockiness in his voice. I sent him a disgusted look. "Can you just help me?" He slid the paper back over to me.

"Sure. How about you get on a computer, pull up a picture of a car, set your paper up to the screen and trace away," I spat.

"Jesus, what the fuck is your problem. We're supposed to be nice to eachother remember," his face dropped and he furrowed his eyebrows. I just stared at him until he turned back around and I could go back to my drawing.

I didn't realize how hard I was pressing down on the pencil until it snapped. I let out a long exaggerated sigh and stood up to sharpen the pencil. Once I finally got it to sharpen, I turned to go back to my seat and there was Carl again.

"Jesus, Carl," I whisper yelled. "What the hell is your problem today?"

"I should be the one asking you that," he replied.

"I told you, I'm doing great. I don't have a problem," I really don't mean to be pissy with anyone, I'm just in that kind of mood today.

"Are you on your period or something," he asked. I let out a scoff and began to walk away, but his hand grabbed mine, stopping me.

"What," I sighed, sending him an irritated look.

"Can we talk? Later, I mean? You're coming over with Debbie after school, right," he asked. I nodded. "Can we talk then?"

"I guess," I breathed. His face brightened up slightly. He slowly let go of my hand.

"Thank you," he said. All I did was shrug as I turned to sit back in my seat.

•••

Debbie and I were walking home. It was beginning to get a little warm outside, so the walk wasn't painfully cold.

"Carl wants to talk to me," I told her after a minute of silence.

"Yeah, I know," she said laughed.

"No, like he wants to talk to me tonight," I told her.

"Yeah, I know. He asked me if he should talk to you and I said hell yes," she stated.

"And you didn't tell me," I asked, frustrated.

"No, I didn't think you'd care," she said. "Well, you wouldn't act like you care, but you secretly would care." I rolled my eyes and didn't say anything back. "You haven't been the same since he ended things. Maybe this will help bring the happy Miya back."

"Whatever," I mumbled as we walked up the front steps.

"You'll thank me," she stated as we walked inside the Gallagher household.

-

a/n: idk where the hell this book is going 🤦🏻‍♀️