Chapter Forty

Chloe's P.O.V

I know I should've told him but I was scared. My heart aches as much as my head does. I have called him more than necessary but he's not picking up.

Eunice and Elvis claim I give him space but the more I think about losing him, the more I go insane. I love him more than my life. If he leaves me, I will die.

"Please eat something. Please," Elvis said over the phone.

"I can't. I don't want to."

"Elvis will talk to him. He's angry with me too. That is why I said Elvis has no idea so he'll at least let him near him. Look at me. Eat, please," Eunice begged.

I take the plate from her. I'm in a deep shit right now. I don't know what to do.

                        ****

Daniel's P.O.V

It hurts so much. I feel so guilty. Because of me, she died. All she cared about was Mia and I...her family.

I can't believe I was surrounded by those who killed her. Grace is so heartless.

Why did I fall for Chloe? Why?!!!

A hand reaches for my shoulder and I know whose it is. Elvis clears his throat and faces me.

"It saddens me to see you like this again. Life has not been fair with you and it is true the hospital did wrong. But it was what Jennifer wanted. She wants you to love again. She wants you to have a family again. she wants you to be happy."

"Must I fall in love with her? Why did I fall for Chloe?"

"Maybe it is because it was meant to be. You both love each other. Jennifer would've loved you till the end. She did, actually. She gave her heart to Chloe so she'll take care of you and Mia. It is not her fault. Chloe didn't ask for this."

"Why didn't she tell me when she found out?"

"Because she was scared. Because she couldn't bare losing you."

I shake my head and close my eyes for sleep to take me but no, it wouldn't. It hurts so much. I did everything I could to make her tell me what was bothering her but she didn't. If I had known it was this...I...I...I'm so confused right now. It hurts so much.

"Please, don't hurt her."

"What about me?" I asked. Everybody is defending her. What about me? I lost my wife because of her. And I almost married her too.

There is silence between us. Leah has been quiet since yesterday. She looks so disturbed. She wants to say something but I'm not in the mood to listen.

I wake up to embrace my life and pains once more. It's been three weeks since I last saw Chloe. It hurts more than the issue at hand.

But I have to make my decision. And I think it will be best if she and I were no more sweethearts.

We will be nothing more than the boss and his employee. She has to understand. I want to move on and take care of my daughter. She's lacking more than what she has.

It's sad but I have to.

                      ****

I walk to my office and Elvis opens his eyes wider as he sees me.

"What the...?"

I smile sadly at him and he looks confused.

"Back on your feet? I'm glad."

"Yes the companies need their boss and Mia needs her father."

"What about Chloe? Are you two back together?" He asked with a smile.

"No, it is better we both go our separate ways."

"You can't be serious. What are you saying? You can't do that to her. Don't hurt that innocent girl."

"Right now, I don't know what I feel for her. I don't know if it's hate or disgust. I want to sort it out first. So please. I'm trying so hard to smile again, don't remind me of her."

He shakes his head and walks out angrily.

I sigh and check my emails. I have a lot unread messages. I check them through before working.

I'm back to being the workaholic. The heartless boss to Chloe.

Is she OK? Is she eating well? Is she sleeping well? Is she even looking healthy?

Goodness!!! Why am I still thinking about her. I sure know you don't care for the people you hate. Why then do I still care for her?

I called the manager of the publishing house.

"Hey, Mr. Shades. Hope you are good."

"Yes Boss. Do you need anything?"

"No, I just want to know if everything is fine there. Any news? Is everyone fine?"

"Yes everything and everyone is fine. Oh and Chloe submitted her resignation letter this morning."

"What?!!"

                      ***

Thanks for reading and voting.

We'll be ending this story soon. I mean my readers and I...lol

Don't forget to check out my other stories.

Until tomorrow, it's bye bye.