-Twenty Six: Brave-

There was another note on Remus's bedside table when he woke up.

A smile flickered across his face as his eyelids fluttered open to see a small folded piece of parchment in his direct line of sight. The heavy breathing surrounding him told Remus that no one else was up yet. He moved quietly, only the crackle of paper giving away his consciousness, and unfolded the slip.

Morning, Moon Boy. Tonight sound good? That wasn't really a question. I don't know why I wrote it like one. It's not like you can answer. Anyway. See ya tonight. Don't be late.

Remus grinned. I wouldn't dream of it, Hel Bel.

..............................

Sirius wandered aimlessly into the Great Hall. He had been the last one up today, and the rest of the Marauders had gotten tired of waiting for him to whinge his way into clothing and out of the portrait hole. Some friends.

He started heading toward the Gryffindor table, where he could already see Remus and Peter sat in their normal seats. Glancing over at the Ravenclaw side, Sirius sat down. There was Lin, Jade and Helia as usual. Lin caught his eye and leaned over to say something to her friends.

"Hey, where's Prongs?" Sirius asked his friends, still not taking his eyes off the Hufflepuff girl.

Remus looked up in surprise. "You didn't hear?"

Finally, Sirius returned his gaze to Remus, frowning. "Didn't hear what?"

"Lily Evans's parents were killed by You-Know-Who." Peter squeaked. Sirius felt his eyes widen.

"Prongs has been with her all morning." Remus confirmed.

Sirius struggled to find words. "That's... woah."

"Yeah."

"She let him stay with her?" Sirius couldn't help the incredulous question.

Remus glanced down at the empty bowl of Owl Pops, replacing it instead with porridge. "I think she was a bit too preoccupied to tell him to go away to be honest."

Marlene flopped into the seat next to him. Sirius glanced over. She had bags under her eyes and hadn't put her makeup on today. She surveyed the toast platter unenthusiastically. Sirius felt sympathy pinch at his gut.

"Is Evans okay?" he asked her quietly.

Marlene looked at him blankly. "Would you be okay?"

Sirius glanced down. "Probably. But I'm an exception."

Marlene inhaled deeply. "Sorry. I've been up all night. You know, to make sure she's doing alright. I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for Potter. I don't think either of us would've slept if he hadn't come along." Marlene winced. "Never tell him I said that. God. I can't even imagine what Lily..." She trailed off.

"I know." Sirius said quietly, even though he didn't. It seemed to have been the right thing to say though. Marlene nodded slightly and picked up a piece of toast, eyeing it as if the task of eating was one of the twelve that Hercules had faced.

"Good morning."

The light voice was instantly familiar to Sirius. He glanced up to see Lin standing over him, smile in place. Her brown hair fluttered around her shoulders, hiding a little green Pygmy Puff that bounced there.

"Morning Lin." Sirius greeted her with a grin. "And morning Ay." He nodded at the Pygmy Puff, who bounced a little higher as if to say hello.

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Lin asked.