-Thirty Two: No Way Out-

"Miss Blacksmith, do you understand why you're here?"

Helia shifted in her seat. Professor McGonogall's eyes bored into hers. Morning light spilled through the strategically placed high arched windows behind the teacher in the office, giving Helia the impression that she was being looked down on by some kind of avenging angel.

"Isn't Professor Flitwick supposed to give me career advice, Professor?" The tone of her voice matched with her customary blank expression told McGonagall that she was being anything but respectful. "He is  the head of my house."

"The Headmaster decided that, in light of your... situation, it would be more beneficial for a teacher who understood your history to instruct you on your future." Professor McGonagall replied in a clipped voice.

"Of course he did." Helia smiled in a way that was just a stretching of her lips.

McGonagall sighed,reaching for a file on her desk with Helia's name printed onto it in bold letter's and flicking through it. "In the case that some sort of miracle has occurred, I am required to ask if you have any idea what you want to do when you leave Hogwarts, Miss Blacksmith."

"Ask away then." Helia said, matching the professor's clinical monotone, making McGonagall's eyes narrow.

McGonagall surveyed Helia over the top of her glasses. "I am going to pretend you knew better than to get pedantic in this scenario."

"How boring of you." Helia mused.

McGonagall knew better than to rise to the bait. This was Helia Blacksmith. Not the one Remus Lupin saw, not the girl hidden behind the layers of secrets bound as tight as mummy wrappings. This was the girl that people flinched away from, the one who was ruthless and merciless enough to get away with anything.

"If you prefered," McGonagall responded smoothly, "We could discuss your situation at home?"

Helia glared at her, knowing that she was beaten. "I think it's odd that you would bring that up, considering what you know."

McGonagall leaned forward slightly. "What do you mean?"

"Surely it's obvious that, no matter what I say here, they are my future." Helia said carefully. "He is my future. He always will be."

"That is no way for a young woman to live." When Helia opened her mouth to protest, McGonagall stalled her with a raised palm and continued. "Nor is it a way to produce money, which is also an essential supplement."

"But it's true." Helia said, softly. "He needs me."

"I believe there is already a system in place to deal with that particular issue." McGonagall responded once again with her awful logic.

"That's not fair." Helia's temper flared up. That was unusual. Usually she could keep it in check. "You know that's not fair."

"There is no other option if you continue to turn down our offers of support."

"I don't need...!" Helia worked hard to restrain herself, finally muttering out between gritted teeth, "I don't need your help."

"Miss Blacksmith," McGonagall's voice was slightly softer this time. "I understand that you have had a difficult past, but there is no reason to let that cloud your future. I am sure that he would not want-"

"Well it doesn't matter what he wants now, does it?" Helia managed. She stood up, scooping her messenger bag from the floor as she went. " I have to go. I don't really need this 'careers advice' thing anyway." She said over her shoulder. "The whole thing just assumes that I'll live to see the end of Hogwarts when we both know I wont."