-Thirty One: The Luxury of Choice-

The girl stood in front of the mirror in the Slytherin dorms, surveying herself.

Part Veela, with the body to match. Her grey eyes whirled and spun more intensely the more you stared at them, like a storm. Okay, so the red hair cut at all different lengths of too-short hadn't been entirely intentional, but she could make it work. Her green embellished robes could be altered slightly to make them more form-fitting and... there you go. Madam Maxine would be proud.

She had no idea what being in Slytherin house meant, or if it was a good thing, but she was going to assume it was, since there was nothing worse than seeming inexperienced on your first day. Second day. She kept having to remind herself that. It all felt like a blur; the bright lights and the colours and the happy, smiling faces. People here laughed, and shouted. You didn't get that at Bauxbatons. All you heard was the low buzz of polite chatter and the clinking of cutlery.

She wasn't sure which she preferred.

..........................

Helia watched as Jade and Lin lead the new girl over to the Ravenclaw table, smoothing out her Slytherin uniform as she went.

Her heartbeat was speeding up. What was she meant to say? She had forgotten how to talk to pretty much anyone outside of Jade, Lin and Remus. The girl slid into the seat opposite and gave her a smile that Helia could sense hid some nerves. Great, now she was going to have to boost this persons self esteem while also trying not to insult her or seem high-and-mighty. Jade shot her a warning look that said, Play nice.

"Hi." The new girl- Bella- said. She held out her hand for Helia to shake. Yay. Human contact. "I'm Bella."

"So I've heard." Helia made eye contact with Jade over Bella's head. She was bouncing up and down nervously on the balls of her feet. Helia raised her eyebrows at her, to which Jade pulled a face and sat down next to her girlfriend, though Helia knew that her knee was still bouncing under the table.

"Um... Yeah." Bella continued, trying not to lose face. "And you must be Helia, right? Jade told me about you."

Helia felt a sharp pain as Jade's leg involuntarily slipped, hitting Helia in the shin. Thank her years of practise at being an emotionless robot for not responding.

"She has, has she?" Helia felt a tight squeeze on her stomach. She wasn't sure what kind of positive thing could  be said about her.

"Yeah, it's... It's good to finally meet you."

"Same."

Helia's shoulders slumped in relief as Remus Lupin walked into the Great Hall. Finally. An excuse to leave. 

"Er..." She said, "I have to go."

Helia grabbed Remus's arm, dragging him back out of the Hall. His eyes were wide with surprise as they took in everything about her; from the wildly curling hair that was escaping from it's ponytail to the slightly feral look in her eyes.

"What's up?" Remus asked, and Helia could tell he was trying to act casual.

"You know," she sighed, "I'm kind of tired of having to come up with an excuse to talk to you."

Remus blinked. It had not been what he was expecting her to say.

"Also I'm avoiding Jade and Jade's new girlfriend."

There it was.

Remus grinned, leaning against the wall. Helia smiled at a passing First Year, though it seemed more like she was bearing her teeth.

"Is she really that bad?" Remus asked, sounding a bit too amused for Helia's liking.

"She's..." Helia struggled for the right word, "She's so... Perfect."