Chapter Seven

The day has come.

I'm finally standing in front of these hot basketball players – the heartthrobs of our university getting introduced by Coach Mark as the new basketball team's manager. All of them are staring at me. It makes me feel uneasy. How I wish I had worn something more presentable than just a plain black shirt and denim pants. I actually want to disappear right now.

I am trying to look at them one at a time making short eye contacts while smiling to at least look a little friendly to them but so far, it doesn't do me any good. My lips are terribly shaking.

By looking at the players, I have this weird intuition that they are disappointed of me as their new manager. Well, this is what you have boys, so you better deal with it!

I scan the room, looking all over for that special someone. Coach Mark has already finished introducing me but I still haven't seen even Alexander's shadow.

"Mel, kindly check the attendance. After that, tell the maintenance staff to prepare the waters, towels, and balls." Coach Mark commands.

"Okay, sir."

I immediately start calling their names. I was given a list of players by Coach Mark the other day and that's what I'm using now as a reference for their attendance. I was not aware that basketball teams have attendance during their practice. Well, aside from the golden rule that a player must shot the ball to the basket to earn a point, I know basically nothing about basketball. Damn. I have surely put myself into a hard situation right here.

"Alexander de Vera?" I announce. My heart jumps as I mention his name.

"You better skip that one." A deep voice from my back says. I turn to look who is talking and it's a tall man in jersey uniform. "He's always late." He adds as our eyes meet.

I look up to him. He's so tall. I bite my inner cheeks as I look at this guy. He's by no doubt a handsome guy. His mouth cracks into a smile showing off his perfect teeth.

"Anthony." He introduces himself and offers his hand.

"Melissa." I accept his hand and he shakes it lightly. Somehow, my hand looks quite small next to him. Basketball players surely have large hands.

How come I did not notice this guy for my three years of stay in this university? This kind of face would always stands out from the crowd. I wonder why I don't find him familiar at all.

"Because you all you can see is Alexander!" I hear Erika and Tony snaps in the back of my mind. I could even imagine them rolling their eyes on me. I secretly smile.

Anthony grips my hand even tighter. It feels weird but it doesn't hurt at all. We are shaking our hands for quite a while now and this feels really weird. What's wrong with this guy? I want to get my hand but I don't want to act mean or something. A smile brakes free from my lips. I don't know why but maybe because I feel somehow comfortable with him.

"Anthony, coach wants to talk to you." Alexander pops out behind Anthony. He pats Anthony's shoulder and nod at him.

Anthony finally releases my hand. "Nice meeting you, Melissa." He turns around to Alexander. They both high five before he moves pass him.

"What a surprise to see you here." Alexander blurts. "Care to explain?"

I look at him. He's here! My heart pounds like drums rising immediately at the sight of him. I softy exhale deeply, trying to control my emotions. I don't want to lose control this time. I don't want to be as obvious as I was last time.

"I'm the new manager." I say confidently.

His eyes get big and his mouth slightly hangs open. "No way. How?"

"Are you insulting me?"

"No. I mean why?"

I want to roll my eyes at him. I actually want to punch him. Is it really that hard to believe?

"Cut the crap out, okay? If you were just early, you should have listened to Coach Mark while introducing me."

"Hey! I'm early today." He says defensively. I almost choke. He's obviously late. We are almost done with the half of the things for today and he's saying that he's early. "Why are you our new manager now?" he asks again.

"That's how things work now, so deal with it, you lazy giant!"

I turn around from him and continue on calling the names. Somehow, I'm satisfied by how I acted. I actually practiced for it. Not the exact lines though but I tried to practice how to control my feeling when I'm with him and not to look like a complete mess in front of him – which I already did a couple of times. I can't stop myself from smiling.