Chapter Forty-two

Mother Belle is a sweet and beautiful nun in her early sixties. A reassuring mother-like smile is always plastered on her face, which makes me comfortable on talking to her. She immediately accommodates us when we approach her.

"Here you go." She says sweetly as she lifts two folders. She has been looking for those folders for quite a while now. Those folders contain the truth that I've been looking for, which brought me here. She lays the folder down the table in front of us. "These are the copy of the files about the twins."

I grab one folder and open it.

Form No. 3870 – Judgement and Decree Adoption Proceedings

CERTIFIED COPY                                                                                             JUVENILE COURT

In the Matter Petition of

___Lissandro M. Santiago___

and ___Melanie B. Santiago___,

___March 26, 1996___

his wife, to adopt ___Melissa Santiago___ 

(specify name desired by the adopting parents)

                                                                           A MINOR CHILD

The above entitled mater came regularly on for hearing before the above named court, at

Chambers, on the ___26th__ day of ___March___, ___1996___; and the court being fully

advised in the premises, did, on the ___26th__ day of ___March___, ___1996___, duly make and

file its finding and order granting the prayer of the petitioners herein.

Now, pursuant to said order and on motion of ___Rotsenlyn G. Fernandez___, Attorneys

for the petitioners, it is hereby adjudged and decreed that from and after the date hereof, the said

child, having been given the name ___Melissa Santiago___ by the petitioners, and File No.

___3870___ by the Commissioner of Public Welfare, shall be deemed and taken to be the child

and heir of the petitioners above names in all respects the same as though born to them in lawful

wedlock.

It is further adjudged and decreed that the name of the child be, and the same is

hereby legally changed to and established as ___Melissa Santiago___.

By the Court:

___Danica Veronica___
Clerk of the Juvenile Court

"It was unfortunate that we failed to make the two of you go to the same family. We actually tried our best but it was not enough. I'm sorry, darling." Mother Belle looks at me apologetically. "Your sister, Edith was already weak since you were born so she stayed in the hospital more than in the orphanage. Dr. de Vera was her doctor and we were really glad when she decided to take Edith home with her. Your parents on the other hand, came here to adopt a child because they were not blessed to be given one of their own. They saw you and without wasting any time, decided that you are going to be their child. I could still remember the smile on their faces when they saw you." She explains. "The two of you were adopted almost at the same time. As I said, we wanted you to be in the same family but you two are needed at different families."

"Fate really has its own way of joking." I utter.

"It sure does."

"Mother Belle, can I have a photo copy of these?" I ask as I point at the folders containing the legal documents.

"Sure. Just stay here, I'll do it for you."

"I can do it."

"Don't worry about it." She winks at me. "I'll be quick."

"Okay. Thank you so much, Mother Belle." I say before she goes out of the room.

I let out a deep sigh and look at my phone to check the time. It's still six in the afternoon. I thought that it would take long before we could get the documents. It's great that it did not turn out like that. I'm happy that we would finish here earlier than expected.

"You're unexpectedly calm." Alexander says.

"Yeah. I'm surprised too."

"Isn't that great?"

"I don't know. Is it? I was expecting myself to be emotional when this moment comes but now that it's here, I can't believe that I'm not really much affected by it. I feel like it's not a really big deal. I don't know. It's weird."

"That's great."

"Yeah. I think so too." I look at the ceiling, leaning my back on the chair. "Why do you think it turned out like this?"

He is silent for a minute thinking of what to answer. "I think it's because you already believed that what I said was true even before coming here."

"Maybe." I shrug. "But maybe because I didn't feel like I'm adopted growing up. All of my life, they treated me like their own child and never felt that I was adopted. It makes me feel blessed and thankful that I was adopted by them. I'm just thankful that it all happened this way."

After what happened this morning, Alexander and I became a bit closer. To be honest, what he said this morning was way more surprising than what I heard now. He's right. I was already expecting that I would prove that I am adopted and I had a twin sister. Maybe that's why I am not emotional right now because I had already prepared for this, but with him saying that he loves me – that shook my world big time.

"I'm back!" Mother Belle says as she steps inside the room.

"You're really fast Mother Belle." Alexander says playfully.

"I told you." She smiles at us. "Here." She hands me a long brown envelope. "Both documents are there."

"Thank you so much, Mother Belle." I say sincerely.

"You're welcome, my child."

"Thank you again, Mother Belle. I just can't thank you enough for this." I stand up and hug her tight. She laughs and hugs me back.

"You're such a sweet child. You've been raised well, my child. I'm so grateful for that." She says as she releases me. "You sure got a good catch here, young man. Take care of you girlfriend, okay?" She states as she looks at Alexander.

"H-he's not my boyfriend." I say defensively.

"Oh really?" Surprise fills her face. "My bad. I'm sorry."

Alexander clears his throat and walks towards the door. "We'll go now, Mother Belle."

"Well, well, good bye, my dear. God bless you both."

"Good bye, Mother Belle." I say and follow Alexander.

She has a meaningful smile on her face while waiving us good bye.