Chapter Forty-six

I stand in front of a well-furnished door made completely out of expensive wood, nervously tapping my foot on the tiled floor. I asses myself once more: my make-up is not heavy, I'm wearing a quite conservative dress, my hair is perfectly pinned up, and I smell good. Is that enough? Yeah, I look fine.

"Hey, calm down." Alexander says. He holds my hand and looks at me warmly. "There's no nothing to be nervous about."

"I can't help it. This is my first time meeting them."

"Mom and dad are not someone you should be afraid of. Before you know it, you're already getting along with them pretty well."

"You're sure?"

He nods with a reassuring smile – the kind of smile that would melt away all your worries. "Let's go in?"

I take a deep breath and nod.

With our hands lock on to each other, we enter the mausoleum where Edith lies. The place is made out of concrete decorated with red, brown, and grey bricks. On the center, a tomb can be found with 'Edith de Vera' written on the gravestone. My heart flinches as I read her name – Edith my dear twin sister.

She's supposed to be a very close person to me, but because of everything that has happened, we didn't even have a single chance to talk to each other. I don't know what she likes or be there for her when she was suffering. I am her twin. We were formed in the same womb. I am supposed to be the closest person to her yet we are a stranger to each other.

Here I am looking at her grave thinking of these things yet I cannot bring myself to shed a tear. The nine months in our biological mother's womb is probably the only time we were together.

Inside the mausoleum, there are two individuals standing beside the tomb. One is a very sophisticated woman. She smiles warmly upon seeing us. The other one is ... Alexander – an older version of him.

"Mom, dad, sorry we're late." He says as we enter.

"It's okay. It's okay." The woman responds. She glances at me and beams me with a heart-warming smile. "Hi, Melissa."

I stand straight as I heard my name and try to return a smile. Alexander squeezes my hand and pulls me closer to them.

"Melissa, these are my parents: Cassandra and James. Mom, dad, this is Melissa ..." He turns his head and looks at me deeply in the eyes. "my girlfriend." He says with a meaningful smile.

I stare back at him with an uncontrollable happiness bursting in my heart. It feels like my face could be split up with my smile. Butterflies are on my stomach making me blush like a teenager falling in love for the first time. I look away and bite my bottom lip to keep myself from smile further more.

"I'm so happy to finally meet you, Melissa." Her mother hugs me warmly making me snap out of this dream like situation and be brought back to reality. I release his hand to hug her back. "Alexander won't stop talking about you whenever we're together that's why I think that I already know you so well."

"Thank you. I'm so glad to finally meet you too." I say as we both pull away.

"My son's mouth is always talking about you. He always wonders where you are, if you're doing good – he's like a stalker. We were worried about him especially when he went home drunk every night for weeks because you had this other guy. He was totally wasted!" She laughs.

My mouth hangs open. I did not know he was so much affected with me and Zac. He looks fine every time I see him before. I never knew this side of the story.