Chapter Twenty

The weekend passed by so fast. I was uneasy the whole time because I got nothing from Alexander. No phone call or even a text from him. It's not like we always exchange text messages or speak with each other over the phone but with what happened the other night, we should get in touch with each other one way or another. I want to text him first but I just can't do it. I can't send a damn message asking him what's up.

It's unsettling but the preparation for the victory trip helped me to not to think about the 'problem' once in a while. There are a lot of things to do and stuff to prepare and I feel like two days isn't enough for me to get things ready but this is the only time we've got.

I'm excited for this trip. I'm looking forward to it. Like, hello, its La Vista we are talking about – the slice of heaven here on earth. We're going to the finest resort in the country that houses a lot of beautiful islands for three days and it's all for free.

"Okay. Everything's in, right? I think I should check my luggage one more time." I say in obvious uneasiness. Toni and I are currently spending the night at Erika's place. Tomorrow is the big day and we will depart 7:30 in the morning. We decided to stay here because Erika's house is the nearest, among the three of us to the meeting place.

"Stop that, Melissa. You've checked your luggage for like a million times already. Stop that OCD of yours, 'kay?" Toni says in an irritated voice.

"We already have everything that we need, so just relax." Erika says reassuringly.

"Okay." I exhale. I nod my head and move away from my bag. This is my farthest travel so far and I'm really excited and annoying.

We sleep – try to sleep at first but in the end, we watch a movie because none of us can sleep. At 3:00 we start preparing: taking a bath, putting make-up – you know the drill.

It's funny how we are the first ones to arrive at the meeting place. I think this proves that I am not the only one who's excited for this trip.

The rest of the people are keep coming shortly after.

Then there he is. Alexander is standing confidently at the corner while doing something on his phone. He looks stunning ... handsome ... perfect. I can't get enough of this man. It's like I am falling for him more and more every day.

"Hey, Alexander!" Erika shouts waiving her hand. He looks at our direction and smiles. He slowly walks towards us making me breathless. It's just weird because somehow I feel like he is purposely avoiding having an eye contact with me.

"You girls are early." He says.

"Yeah." Erika giggles. "But you are kind of late. We were waiting for you."

"Why?"

"Mel, you have to tell him something right?" She says teasingly pointing at me.

My eyes are switching between Erika and Toni looking at them with my what-the-fuck-is-this expression. Then my eyes find Alexander. I get captured by his gaze that even if I want to look away, I feel like it's merely impossible.

"I was expecting you to call me after that." I say loud and clear. It came out naturally. I didn't think about it at all, and just said it. Though I am embarrassed about what I said, I don't regret it at all. I do not want avert my eyes. I continue on starring at him.

He looks surprise for a moment but immediately recovers back to his usual Mr. Perfect calm look. I wait for him to say something but nothing comes from him. The four of us are silent, enclose in an invisible awkwardness.

A sudden ringing from a phone breaks the silent. It is Alexander's phone. He looks at it and says, "I need to take this. Excuse me." He does not say a anything after that and walks away leaving me without looking back.

"Okay." Erika says after he was gone. "That was totally weird. Last week, you two were acting like real boyfriend and girlfriend and now this?"

"What exactly happened?" Toni asks.

What happened? He told me about Edith and we kissed then he drove me home in an awkward silence. That's what happened.

"Let's not talk about it right now, please?" I say in a soft voice almost like a whisper. I see my friends' eyes, they were sympathetic and I know they understand me.

"You know what, maybe that was just a very important call." Toni says in a lively voice trying to uplift my mood.

"Right! Besides, you have one whole week to talk to him about whatever your problem is. We're going to La Vista, girl. Cheer up." Erika says trying to sound encouraging.

"I know right!" I say with a smile.

"That's my girl!"

I take a deep breath and shake the thought out of my head. It doesn't take long until Coach Mark calls all of us to get inside the chartered coasters. There are three coasters waiting for us.

I follow Toni and Erika, who are heading to the cheerleader's coaster.

"Hey Miss AU, where are you going?" Anthony appears from somewhere crossing his arms across his chest.

"To the van." I answer pointing at the coaster.

"No. No." He says shaking his head. "Miss AU, you should be going in to the basketball team's bus. We were already arranged in where we are going to sit. I'm sorry but you and your lovely friends should be separated for a while.

I sigh and look at my friends. They just look at me and nod sympathetically and that's my sign to turn away and go separate from them.

"So Miss AU ..."

"Stop calling me that." I snap. "Please, Anthony." I add in a softer voice.

He smiles and walks pass me.

Inside the coaster, the only vacant seat is the one beside Alexander. I just head towards it and pretend like as if being next to Alexander right now is no big deal.

"Hi." I say as I approach him. "Looks like I'm siting here."

What the heck is wrong with him? I thought to myself. I lightly shake my head and let the thought slip off of me. I quietly sit down beside him.

"What?!" He says in an irritated voice after a few minutes of silence. His eyebrows are cross against each other and he eyes are glaring at me. "Why are you staring at me?"

I'm staring at him? "I-I'm sorry – I didn't realize it." I blurt. "I mean I was looking at the window and not on you." His eyebrow rises up like saying 'really?' in a doubtful way. "I swear." I add immediately raising my right hand.

He did not say anything and looks away. He plugs in his earphones and closes his eyes. I want us to talk but it's obvious that he doesn't want us to. I roll my eyes and plug in my earphones too.

The car stars to move. Shortly after, my eyes feel heavy until I haven't realized that I have fallen asleep.

"Hey wake up." I hear Alexander says while gently poking my cheeks.

I stay on my place and slowly open my eyes. It takes a while before I realize that half of my body is lying. But where? I look above and Alexander's face is looking down straightly at me. OMG! I am on his lap!

I immediately sit up straight and run my fingers through my hair. "I'm sorry." I say shyly.

He nods and leaves me alone in the car.