Chapter Forty-eight

I was not able to sleep last night. I was crying for the whole night while trying to contact Zac, who just left me that evening. I tried to call him a hundred times but he won't pick up his phone.

"Melissa!" Toni shouts as she runs to me. She grabs my hand and pulls me. "Come. You need to see this."

We are running along the hallway of the west building of our university. I don't know what's going on but she looks like she has no time for questions, so I shut my mouth up and run with her.

We run until we reach the gymnasium. My mouth hangs open as I see it to be fully packed with people. My mouth opens wider upon seeing that the reason why people are here is because of a basketball match between our team and Zac's team.

Toni pulls me again, dragging me to where Erika is seated.

"Thank God you're here." Erika says, full of tension as I sit beside her.

"What's happening?" I ask.

"AU and RU is having a tune up game and it's getting really intense. The players are getting physical with each other specially those two." She answers pointing at Alexander and Zac. "They have been tough against each other even before the game begins. I won't get surprise if they fight any time from now."

Oh shit! I cover my hand to my mouth as I stare at the guys who are seriously getting head to head on against one another. The tension that surrounds then is almost visible to me. I follow them with my eyes, scared of what's about to happen. With what happened last night, things would surely get bloody.

I did know that there is a tune up game today. Neither of them told me about it. Shit!

I am nervously sitting beside my friends watching the game proceeds. My heart is crazily beating hard that I could even hear it out loud. The tension is killing me. I know anytime from now, this basketball game would turn out to be a boxing match.

As the game goes on, it becomes more like a showdown between Alexander and Zac. They are executing incredible moves while giving their teams points. Everyone's eyes are on them. They both look exhausted but no one wants to give up, they are just vigorously smashing every point for their respective teams.

I don't care about the points. I don't care who wins. All I'm praying is that they would not fight and end up hurting each other.

This time, Alexander has the ball, dribbling his way to the basket. He makes it looks so easy as he passes through all the opponents with incredible speed. Once under the basket, he jumps for a dunk but Zac is already there, jumping his way to block him. It's already impossible for him to shot that ball but he still dunks it with all his force, hitting Zac's hand, knocking the latter over the floor.

Everyone gasps. All suddenly becomes silent while looking at Zac, lying on the floor. Alexander just throws him a look and walks away. All eyes are on Zac as he moves and slowly stands up. He bends down and reaches for the ball.

I haven't realized it but I am already standing with my hands on my mouth. My knees are shaking in fear but I could not bring myself to sit.

To my surprise – to everyone's surprise, instead of giving the ball to the referee, Zac throws the ball to Alexander. The ball hits his head.

Alexander furiously heads back to Zac grabbing him by the neck and punches him straight in the face. Zac goes a little wobbly but he recovers quickly and kicks Alexander in the stomach making the later to slightly bend down in pain. Zac kicks Alexander for the second time but the later was able to catch his foot and pulls it hard, knocking the other to the floor again.