Chapter Thirty-six

I wake up in an unfamiliar room.

Where am I?

I immediately sit up straight and look around. I hold my head as it ache from my sudden movement. Hangover. This is a well-furnished room filled with furniture properly place in right locations. This is a beautiful room – way beautiful than mine. To my side is a glass sliding door connected to a garden.

Where am I?

The memory of last night slowly comes back to me. We drunk, partied, danced, and there was a guy.

Oh no!

I immediately look under the mattress and look at my body. Relief rushes through me as I see myself still fully clothe with the same clothes I was wearing last night. I let out a loud sigh. A little bit of nervousness subsided but my heart is still racing because I am in an unfamiliar room and I have no idea where I am.

On the right side of the bed, is a night stand and on it is a glass of orange juice. I touch it and it is still cold. It sure looks delicious and is making my mouth water. I lift it up. Wait. What if, this has a poison? Nah. If the person who brought me here wants to harm me, he should have done it when I was still asleep. I shrug and drink the juice. The sweetness and coldness travels down my stomach and soothes and relaxes my body.

It feels so weird waking up in a place I have no idea where and doesn't even have a clue what happened last night after the party. I stay still sitting on the bed looking at the empty wall across me, trying to understand what's happening.

I am sure that the guy who helped me last night is the same guy who brought me here. I am in a beautiful room, sitting in a comfortable bed, fully clothe with the clothes I wore last night. I don't feel anything weird about my body, so it just means that I was not raped or sexually violated. I sigh at the thought of it. He must just be a good guy trying to help a helpless girl like me.

I notice a stick note posted on the table.

STAY HERE.

I stare at the sticky note again. "Stay here." I read out loud. I roll my eyes and throw it away. How lame. If people follow rules as easy as that, the world could have been a better place. But no, people are not like that and so do I.

I stand up and walk to the door. Funny thing is I don't really follow what people tell me to do. It makes me even more curios to get out of this room. I hold the door knob and twist it but it is lock.

Fuck!

My body trembles in fear.

I walk away from the door and walk nervously all around the room. I walk here and there thinking of the best possible thing to do. Then my eyes catch something – it is my phone! I run to it but to my dismay, it is dead.

I scratch my head in frustration.

In times when I need my phone, it's completely useless! The fucking irony of life!

What should I do?

I am walking for I don't know how long. I could not think of anything else and grab a chair and hit the knob as hard as I could. I hit it five times before it finally broke and the door opens.

"Yes!" I cry. I peep my head out of the door to check if everything is clear and it is. With one quick motion, I get out of the room and ran.

I know I am in a hurry but I somehow can't help but appreciate the house. It's quite a huge house. I've been going here and there but I could still not find the exit.

I find myself walking quietly like a thief in a corridor. I've been trying to avoid being seen by anyone of the household and so far so good. I actually have not seen even a shadow of anyone in the house so far. It's weird but I think it's a good thing.

The corridor is filled with pictures hanging on the wall. It looks so pretty but I don't have time to look at them. I need to get out of this place.

I am already in the middle of the corridor when my attention gets caught by a large family picture frame hanging on the wall. Without realizing it, I stop and stare at the portrait.

There are four people in the picture. A beautiful sophisticated lady, an attractive man in his late forties, a boy with a face I certainly know of, and a girl. They are all smiling at me. This is a picture of a happy family. They look so happy. Their smiles reach their eyes and I could see the glint of happiness in each of their eyes. The parents were holding their kids proudly. They are perfectly happy.

I know who this boy is. He may look younger in this picture but his smile is the same to how I know it to be. The smile that made me fall for him for three years. The smile that I knew would make me melt every time I could see it. The smile that made me captivated for so long. He's by no doubt Alexander de Vera.

I am losing every bit of energy in my body. The thought of escaping this place completely vanished in my mind. My knees wobble as I stare at the girl who I assume was his younger sister Edith.

My heart is not beating normally. I am not scared. I am not nervous. I am not sad either. I don't know what is this emotion called but it doesn't feel good at all and I don't like it. I don't want to look at her but I could not get my eyes off of her.

Her eyes. Her hair. Her smile. She looks very familiar yet I know I don't know her. I haven't met her and I haven't seen her before but she looks exactly like someone I know very well.

I continue staring at her. My heart is in my mouth. I want to look away but I'm already drawn to her. She is staring back at me with a sweet smile on her face. All I know that she is Edith, Alexander's younger sister who is already dead. As I stare at her more and more, it feels like I am looking at my own picture when I was still younger.

Her eyes. Her hair. Her smile. She looks exactly like me.

I cover my mouth with my hand unable to properly think.

How possible it that I look one hundred and one percent a like with this girl in the picture?

"Melissa!" I hear Alexander call out my name in obvious shock. He immediately ran to me and as he gets near me, he just stands next to me and do nothing but just stare. "I told you to stay in the room." The pain in his voice echoes.

"Care to explain?" I whisper continuing to look at Edith.