Chapter Fourteen

Today is the grand opening of the Diamond Cup. It's still four am but here I am standing in the bus station embracing myself in this cold morning air. I've been here for more than an hour already but I still haven't seen even a shadow of a bus.

It's dark. I'm cold and scared. I close my eyes to utter a silent prayer. Dear God, Heavenly King, help me conquer my fear. I know You're always with me so I must not feel scared at all but Lord God, if it's not too much to ask, please give me strength to conquer my fear. This is all I ask in Jesus name our Lord. Amen. I make the sign of the cross and remain my eyes close.

I hear a car stop in front of me. "Thank you, Lord." I whisper. I immediately open my eyes thinking that it is the long awaited bus but it turns out to be a privately owned car. I unconsciously put myself on guard. Crap. If anything would happen to me right this moment, no one will witness it! I stare at the car. It looks familiar. It is Ford Mustang. There is no way a girl-napping animal would ride this luxurious car!

Slowly, the driver's window rolls down.

"Hey!" Alexander shouts as soon as our eyes meet. His voice echoes through the empty streets. "This isn't a place for you to sleep, Melissa!" He says in a firm voice. I am surprise to hear anger in his voice. I just sit there looking at him. "What are you waiting? Get in."

Slowly, his words penetrate my skull. I blink several times before I push myself up to stand. When I get on my feet, my knees wiggle and I fall back on the seat. I blink again. Once. Twice. Several times, but I can't see anything. Everything is pure darkness and my head feels light. I try to push myself up but fail again. I hold a cold bar for support. The metal is so cold that it stings my hand but I continue to hold it.

Suddenly, a pair of strong arms scoops and lifts me like as if I am as light as paper.

I have the urge to shout but I don't really want to. Let's get real, I love the place where I am now – in the arms of Alexander. It's warm and comfortable. I was fantasizing what would it feel like to be in his arms and now I have an answer – it's magical. It's the most amazing place on earth.

I close my eyes and enjoy the whole scene until I feel a soft seat kisses my butt. I open my eyes. I'm already inside his car.

He enters his car with clinch teeth. "What the fuck are you doing there, Melissa?" He blurts.

"I-I was waiting for the bus." I answer in a small voice without looking at him. I feel like I am a five-year old girl getting scolded by her dad.

"For heaven's sake, Melissa, I know it! You are in the bus station because you are waiting for a bus. Simple logic. What I'm asking you is that why were you sleeping there? You're not even wearing a jacket! What the fuck are you thinking?"

"I was not sleeping. I was praying."

"Praying my ass."

"What is wrong with you?" I look at him with narrow eyes. He's starting to get into my nerves. I appreciate the act of kindness but who does he think he is to scold me like this?

"That's not the question here, Melissa. What is wrong with you?" He's looking at me with sharp eyes. If his glare could kill someone, I'm probably dead by now. "You were alone there." He points at the now empty bus station. "You're sleeping alone in the dark. It's also freezing outside and you're not even wearing a jacket. Are you trying to kill yourself?"

I keep silent and look away. I am guilty.

"When I saw you there, I almost died. What if something unpleasant happened to you? What if someone tried to -?" Sadness covers the wrath in his voice. He looks at me with a very sad face. "When I held you, you were so cold. I was very worried."