Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next weeks were spent planning our escape. We searched our brains for any and all ideas that could be useful. When our plan was finally finished, America and I had agreed that it was the best we could be able to accomplish.

Today, part one of the plan was taking place. It was all on me and how convincing I could be with Erika. America and I, if we were to escape, needed to blend in, to not be noticed. All of the guards here wore uniforms, so if we were to go unnoticed, we had to get out hands on two of the uniforms.

I got to my feet and moved to the door, nodding to America. She gave me an encouraging smile and I knocked on the door. "Hey Gabe, can you come in here for a minute?"

The lock clicked and Gabriel came in. I gave him a friendly slap on the shoulder. "Good to see ya, kid," he said with a smile. "Hello Lady America. How are you today?"

America looked up at him shyly, playing the part of the demure woman quite well. "I'm fine, thank you."

He frowned slightly, probably at about how different she was acting from how I'd described her. "Well, did you need something, kid? Or did you just feel an urge to talk to your best guard friend?"

I laughed. "Yes, I need you to do me a favor. Can you get Erika to come here soon? I have something I'd like to discuss with her."

"Excuse me?" Gabriel asked incredulously. "Did I hear you right? You want to talk to my little witch of a sister?"

No, I really don't. "Yes, I do." He stared at me wide-eyed.

"Okay," he said. "I'll get her, but don't do anything stupid."

Gabe gave me one last wary glance before leaving. I went back to America's side and sat down beside her. My arm wrapped around her shoulders, pulling her against me. I kissed the side of her head lightly, a grim smile flickering across her lips.

"I wish you didn't have to do this," America whispered softly.

"I know, me too, but we have to get those uniforms. How else are we supposed to get out of this hellhole?"

She nodded in agreement, her expression one of sadness and dread. I hated what I'd have to do to convince Erika to give us what we wanted. I knew what I had to say and do, but I sure wasn't happy about it. We waited for a while in silence. Erika could be here any second.

"Don't watch," I told her solemnly. "Please don't watch."

She nodded and sighed. "I love you, Maxon."

"I love you too, America. So so much."

I rested my forehead against hers until there was a sharp knock on the door. "I'm sorry," I whispered and got to my feet. She gave me a look that said she understood, and turned her head away.

Erika came in and I felt a great deal of resentment towards her. She was the bane of my existence, in the truest sense of the phrase. Erika stared at me greedily and I resisted the urge to sigh and turn away from her, and gathered her into my arms. She tried to kiss me, but I dodged her lips, moving to the side and giving her a peck on the cheek. I was extremely uncomfortable doing anything with America here so I was trying to avoid doing something that could hurt her. I knew Erika could tell something was up, but she didn't bring it up. She ran her fingers up and down my arms, making the hair on the back of my neck stand straight up. Erika looked into my eyes, her brown eyes staring into mine. I wanted to look away, but I couldn't. I had to start the plan.

I murmured into her ear quietly. "Babe?"

"Yeah?" she breathed.

"Do you think you could get two guard uniforms?" Erika pulled back quickly.