Chapter 30

Songs: Hold On by Colbie Caillat, Come On Get Higher by Matt Nathanson

Maxon's POV

It was more than a little bit surprising to be greeted by a television remote being swung at my head. I was expecting something more along the lines of a hug. Yeah, a hug would've been nice. I quickly disarmed her, not letting the remote hit me. I really didn't want a huge lump on my forehead in the morning.

"Oh my God, Maxon?" she gasped, clearly in shock though I was the one who'd nearly been attacked. She ran a hand through her hair, the moonlight glinting off of her red locks. "What are you even doing here?"

"I'm here for you. Why were you swinging a remote at my head?"

America covered her mouth with her hand, even though I was waiting for an answer. "You're here for me?" she asked quietly.

I'd thought that was obvious. "Of course. Now, please, I'm begging you, can you explain why you were trying to cause me severe head trauma?"

She waved her hand as if it wasn't even worth mentioning. "I didn't know it was you. I thought you were someone trying to break in."

"Okay," I said, still not clear on exactly why a TV remote had been her weapon of choice, but not really in the mood to push it.

"Okay," she repeated. An awkward silence started to form between us. I couldn't figure out why. In her letter, she had said she wanted to be with me, so why wasn't she acting happy? What was making America so hesitant? Had she changed her mind since sending the letter?

I saw her shiver from the chilly night air. She was wearing only a thin tank-top and pajama pants. She would freeze. I pulled off my jacket and offered it to her. America shook her head and pushed it away. I didn't give up; I wasn't going to let her be cold just because she was stubborn. I put it around her shoulders as she huffed and rolled her eyes, but she didn't try to give it back. America pulled it tighter around her. I gave her a small smile, but she just stared at the ground.

It hurt me that she was behaving this way. I came all of this way to see her and she could hardly even look me in the eye. I didn't know what I was supposed to do. Did she want me to apologize? Was she waiting for me to make the first move?

I was prepared to do that for her. I dropped to my knees, placing the remote on the ground next to me. I took her hands in mine. She didn't try to pull away. She actually was holding on tighter than I was. It took some effort to not be distracted by the feel of her skin against mine. I hadn't wanted to beg before, but if there was a time for begging, this would be it.

"America," I started, pleased to feel her shudder when her name rolled off my tongue. "I know that things between us haven't been good for a long time. You don't know how much I wish I could take back everything that I said and how I treated you. You didn't deserve any of it. I want to slap myself every time I think about what happened. I was so stupid, America. I can't believe that I thought I could live without you, because I can't. I don't know if you can ever forgive me, but I hope you'll try. I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry."

She sounded a little bewildered when she asked, "What are you doing?"

"I'm begging."

"On your knees?"

"Isn't that what people do?"

"Yeah, in movies when they're desperate."

I looked away from her, not able to hold her azure eyes and remain focused at the same time. "This may not be a movie, but I'm desperate, America. I need you."

She bit her lip, obviously unsure of how to respond. She removed her hands from mine and tugged on my arm. "Come on, Maxon. Stand up."

I obeyed and got to my feet. She smoothed my shirt with her hands before looking up at me. "Say it to my face," she whispered.