Chapter 17

This is a pretty fluffy chapter... Just FYI ;)

Chapter 17

America and I sat on her bed, the book laying in front of us. Her maids had left just minutes earlier and we were about to start our normal therapy routine. It had been a few weeks since my flashback. I hadn't had another one since then but the nightmares were getting worse and worse. They were different every night and they always included America being hurt and I was helpless to stop it. I always woke up shaking and sweating. I would often try to go back to sleep though it would only bring more of the awful dreams. Sometimes, I wished I hadn't asked America not to sleep there with me. Even though I knew they were just dreams, I would feel the overwhelming need to know she really was okay.

Now, as I looked at her, I could see the tiredness in her eyes. America was holding it together, but I could sense the strain my situation was putting on her. I felt guilty that I was causing her any sort of distress. At the same time, I was undyingly grateful to her. America was putting so much effort into helping me. It was one of the kindest things anyone had ever done for me.

America caught me staring and her face lit up into a smile. She looked positively stunning today though I doubted she even realized it. Her hair was tied up messily, tendrils of it framing her face. She had no makeup on and was wearing a t-shirt from her home with the jeans I'd given her. I liked that she still valued the gift I gave to her at the very start of all of this. Today, America looked more.... real.

"Why do you do that?" she whined. I tilted my head in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

She sighed exasperatedly. "Why do you have to look at me like that? I can't concentrate on anything when you are sitting there giving me puppy-dog eyes."

"Woof," I teased with a wink. America laughed.

"I'm serious, Maxon. We aren't going to get a single thing done today if you continue looking at me that way."

I scooted closer to her, my face close to hers. I dipped my head, my nose skimming along her jaw. She shivered as I placed a feather-light kiss on a soft spot below her ear.

"Too bad," I whispered against her skin. I saw America bite her lip out of the corner of my eye. Any thoughts of getting my therapy done today seemed to be slipping from her mind until she put a hand on my chest, pushing me away.

"Oh no, we're getting through this. I know you hate it, but it's important."

I groaned and fell back onto her pillows. America brought the book into her lap. She was determined, I'll give her that. So was I.

I got back into a sitting position, placing my hand a little higher on her thigh than I usually would've. I saw her tense up. America's eyes grew wide and she swallowed loudly. Her gaze flicked back and forth from my face to my hand quickly. I moved my index finger in little circles on her leg.

America's eyes finally settled on mine. The longing in them made a small smirk play on my lips. "Please," I begged softly. "I'll work even harder than normal tomorrow."

She opened her mouth to speak, but all that came out was a tiny moan when I tightened my grip slightly on her leg. America covered her mouth with her hand the second the sound escaped, blushing red in embarrassment. I chuckled at her expression.

I took the book from her lap, placing it on the bed. She buried her face in her hands, still blushing adorably. "Come on, darling. Just for today. All I want is to spend time with you."

I drew her hands back from her face and held them in mine. America refused to meet my gaze, obviously still horrified with herself. I shook my head at how silly she was being. I was actually very flattered.