Chapter 26

Song: You're Not Sorry by Taylor Swift

Maxon's POV

I hardly slept at all that night. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get myself to drift off. Thoughts of America and Daphne swirled. I don't know who I was angrier with. Daphne had purposefully destroyed my marriage and then proceeded to try and kiss me.

On the other hand, America was the one who'd said all of those hurtful things. Another thing that had started to tick me off was the fact that she didn't try to come back and talk again. She could've made up an excuse to get back into the room. For example, she needed to get clothes from her suitcase. Anything would have done. Instead, America just left me alone. I may have asked her to do just that but if she'd actually tried to reason with me again, it would have meant something to me. Her not coming back also meant something. She wasn't even going to try. I didn't know whether it was because she didn't care enough or she didn't think it would help.

By the time the sun started peaking over the horizon, I was fuming. She didn't want to come back? Fine. If she didn't need me, I didn't need her.

I rolled out of bed and grabbed her suitcase on the way to the door. I marched out into the hallway and dropped the bag on to the floor. I wasn't going to give her another chance to see me until it was absolutely necessary at breakfast. I went back inside and hurriedly changed into a suit. Breakfast wasn't for another hour and a half, but it was probably better to be out of the room as soon as possible.

Once I finished getting ready, I made sure all of my items were packed in my bag to prepare for our flight back to Illéa later today. I was dreading the flight and having to be cooped up in the jet with America. It would be hours upon hours of deafening silence. I wondered if she would try to talk to me at all today. She could easily find a way to avoid it.

After I finished checking and double-checking my bag, it was only twenty minutes until breakfast. I decided to wander around for a while to waste time. It was highly unlikely that I'd see America since she didn't know her way around and probably wouldn't risk getting lost in the maze of hallways. It was a safe way to escape for a while.

I made my way to the library. It was old and hardly ever used anymore. When I entered the room, I stopped to stare at the tall shelves that went back farther than I could see. It was a shame that such an amazing collection wasn't put to more use. I remembered when Daphne and I were younger and she told me that you could find the answer to any question in here; all you had to do was look in the right places. America would love it in here, with the natural light fading in through the large glass windows and the old, classic furniture that had been worn in from many generations of royalty inhabiting it.

I strolled over to the shelves, running my fingers along the books' spines. I browsed, looking at the title and author of each and every book that I passed. A few names jumped out at me, but many were unfamiliar. I wanted to pick one out and curl up on one of the leather couches to read, but I knew I did not have time to get into a book, no matter how tempting it was. I, unfortunately, had to get to breakfast. I'd spent more time in here than than I'd thought and I was on the opposite side of the building. Sighing, I left the library and headed toward the dining room.

I arrived with a few minutes to spare. I was sure that Daphne and her family were already seated, but I knew America probably wasn't and it would raise suspicion if we entered at different times. I'd have to wait and see if she showed up.

Apparently, I didn't have to wait all that long.

America appeared from around a corner. She continued to walk until she noticed me. She stopped dead in her tracks and stared at me as I crossed my arms and felt myself start to frown. Slowly and shakily, America raised her hand and tugged lightly at her ear. I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from yelling at her. What right did she have to do that, to use our signal? Why did she want to talk right now? Why couldn't she have done that last night when that might've actually had a chance of being effective?