Chapter 27

Sorry if this chapter isn't great. I got really tired by the end of it so I don't know if it's any good.

Song: My Happy Ending by Avril Lavigne

Maxon's POV

With the amount of talking that occurred on the flight home, you would've thought that I was all alone. America was certainly acting like she was. She was definitely giving me the silent treatment now. I couldn't exactly blame her. For one thing, she thought I actually cheated on her this time and I hadn't denied it. Secondly, I had said some pretty awful things to her. The only thing that stopped me from apologizing was that I thought some of them were true. I didn't think she married me for the right reasons. I didn't think that she trusted me. I didn't think that she was sorry. It was all enough to make me bite my tongue. She deserved whatever I dealt out.

Now, America and I were getting out of the limousine at the palace. I couldn't help but smile as I stared at my home. I just wanted to go inside and escape from all the drama. There was so much I could do to keep myself busy that I probably wouldn't even have to think about America. When she saw my smile, she shot me a glare that could've frozen the oceans and the grin faded away.

We walked up the steps, stopping only for the guards to open the doors. My parents were waiting in the foyer for us. They were both smiling until they noticed America's stormy expression. She really was getting good at wiping the smiles right off of people's faces.

Father pinched the bridge of his nose, shaking his head. "How are you two already fighting? We only left you alone for two weeks!"

Mom slapped him on the arm. "Hush, Clarkson. Try being sensitive for a change." She approached America, taking her hands. "What happened, America?"

"Why are you asking her?" I protested. "She's the one who started it."

"Are you sure?"

"Well-"

She interrupted me. "I think we should hear both sides of the story before we can know that for certain." Mom looked back at America. "Tell us what happened."

Though I was positive America adored my mother, she still yanked her hands away. "I'll tell you what's happening. Your son is being a manipulative, backstabbing, sadistic, two-timing asshole!"

With that, she marched off in the direction my room and the princess suite. She had some nerve exploding at Mom like that.

"I apologize, Mother," I said. "She shouldn't have behaved that way."

She waved it away. "I'm not concerned with that at the moment. Would you like to give me a more... detailed description of the issue?"

I ran a hand through my hair. "No. Not really, Mom. I just want to go to my room. Please don't make me stay."

I started to walk away, but Father put a hand on my shoulder as I passed him. I stopped, meeting his eyes. He studied me for a few seconds before nodding and releasing me. I shoved my hands into my pockets and went on my way.

I wandered around for a while until I made my way to my room. It was exactly the same as when I'd left it. The first thing I did was collapse on to my bed. I looked at the empty spot where America would have been. Running my fingers over the comforter, I decided that I wouldn't dwell on everything that happened before all of this. The time of sweet kisses and loving words was long gone. This was how it was now and it wouldn't help to torture myself with those memories. I doubted I'd keep that resolve for very long, but there wasn't much else that I could do.

.

.

.

America's POV