Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I woke to the sound of an insistent ringing, begging for my attention. I groaned when I realized it was my private cellphone. Who could be calling at this hour? It was hardly three minutes after one in the morning.

"Don't answer it," America mumbled from beside me, her face buried into the pillows. She was finally sleeping in my bed again and the thought of snuggling back up to her and returning to sleep was very tempting.

I let it ring and pulled her back into my arms, which she'd rolled out of at some point during the night. America brought the covers over us again and settled back to sleep.

I was on the verge of sleep when my phone started ringing again. I contemplated letting it ring out again, but America woke back up and reached over me to the phone and answered.

"Prince Maxon's phone. This better be important if you're waking us up at this ungodly hour."

She listened for a moment before handing the phone to me. "It's for you."

"No, really? It's not like it's my phone or anything," I replied dryly. She rolled her eyes and collapsed back onto the mattress. I put the phone to my ear, prepared to tell the caller to call me when they learned to read a clock and could tell that the middle of the night is not the appropriate time to give someone a ring.

"Prince Maxon speaking," I said, yawning.

"Hey, kid."

I sat straight up at the sound of the voice. I couldn't believe who was calling me.

"Gabriel?" I asked incredulously. He laughed into the phone.

"Yeah, it's me. I know how awesome that is." I smiled and shook my head. He was still the same old Gabe, cocky as ever.

"You have no idea. How've you been? What's going on?"

He paused for a second. "Well, I'm sort of at the palace gates."

"Excuse me?" I questioned, my brow furrowing. What could possibly make him come here? Did Arthur know his stepson was at the home of his enemy?

"Arthur was getting abusive towards my mother. I remembered that you said to get in contact if I needed something. Well... I need your help."

Without hesitation, I said, "I'll be down in a minute. Stay put."

I hung up the phone and got out of bed. I hurriedly grabbed a shirt from my closet and put it on with my pajama bottoms. The buttons were in the wrong holes, but it wasn't important at the moment. I put on my slippers and headed towards the door.

Just as I was about to leave, America sat up and called after me, "Maxon! Where are you going?"

"It's important. I swear," I answered and left, leaving the door open.

"That's not what I asked," she said, her voice fading off.

I jogged through the halls until I reached the front doors, where I was confronted by a pair of guards.

"Your Majesty, where are you going?" one of them asked.

"I can't tell you. Just let me through and open the gates."

"But, sir-" the other started.

"Now!"

They moved out of my way and went to the electronic controls for the gates that were on a nearby wall. I ran out into the warm night air, a breeze blowing back my tousled hair. There were footsteps following after me and I assumed it was the guards chasing after their prince.