Chapter 13

MARISSA'S POV

I knocked on Demi's apartment door nervously. I had no idea what to expect. For all I knew, Demi could be lying wasted and bleeding on the floor of her kitchen, or tied to a bed while that fucking bitch Valderrama raped her, or kidnapped by a horde of paparazzi, or...I stopped there, not letting my imagination get the best of me by reminding myself that Selena had said Demi was at least partially okay. Hopefully that meant she was safe and alive and in her apartment room and hopefully getting up to open the door soon because it was really cold outside right now.

Thankfully, the door soon opened, but my heart dropped when I realized it wasn't Demi greeting me, but Selena.

"Selena? Where's Demi? Is she okay? OMIGOD, she didn't....did she? Holy crap where is she, Selena?" I freaked out, pushing past Selena and into the vast living room, wide eyed and panicked, praying desperately to see a smiling a Demi sitting on the couch watching the ID Channel.

"Calm down, Marissa, she's fine, mostly." Selena grabbed my shoulders and hugged me from behind, and I relaxed for a second, digesting that information. Okay. Demi was fine. But where was she?

"She's just getting changed," Selena said, answering my unspoken question as if she had read my mind. "She had a...rather eventful night yesterday."

SELENA'S POV

I then went on to explain last night's happenings, finally ending by concluding with what had happened just a half hour ago when I had been convincing Demi to eat. I explained everything fully except the part about Demi and I kissing, which I purposely left out, as I had done when I explained the situation to Dianna.

"Oh god," Marissa moaned, collapsing onto a squishy couch. "What're we gonna do?"

"Well, I figure there's no point telling her about Maddie, it'll just freak her out more. We'll leave her here to sleep some more, because she really needs it, and we'll go out looking for the two lost kiddos."

That's when Demi entered the room. "Hold up," she said. "TWO kiddos?" she asked innocently, looking as us with a confused expression.

"Oh, um, nothing," Marissa and I said at the same time, guilt evident on both of our faces.

"Come on, tell me!" Demi said persistently. "Robyn's only one person! Who's the second?"

Shit. Okay, I guess we were telling her now. "Well, you see...um...your family kind of maybe lost Madison."

"WHAT?" Demi screamed.

I winced. This was why I didn't want to tell her. "Don't worry, it's okay, we're going to go out and find her and Robyn and bring them back here." I prepared myself for another screaming match from Demi. To. Be honest, I was disappointed, because it seemed like she had completely forgotten about last night's events, in terms of the kiss, I mean. The loving sheen in her eyes that she had stared at me with yesterday was completely replaced with a cold, hard glare.

Demi opened her mouth to shout some more, but luckily caught herself. 'Good girl', I thought to myself, praising her ability to contain her emotions before they took complete control of her. Instead, she slumped into the couch beside Marissa, looking tired and defeated. "How'd they lose Maddie?" she asked simply.

"She and Dianna got into a little argument," I lied, trying to tone down the enormity of the situation. "I think she just went off overnight to cool off, you know how moody teenagers are."

"Overnight?" Demi gasped. "You let my baby girl roam around Vancouver by herself for like twelve hours? She could be kidnapped! Stabbed! Mugged! Robbed! What if people recognize her?" she panicked. She started to hyperventilate and her eyes teared up.