Chapter 20

MADDIE'S POV

Waking up and checking the time on the clock, I realized it was already 7:30 AM and almost had a panic attack, because I usually had to leave for school at 7:30 to get there on time. Seconds later, I remembered that, given the circumstances, I probably didn't need to worry about school right now. I doubted Demi would let me out of her sight for more than even a minute, so six hours was definitely out of the question.

Sighing, I hopped out of bed anyways. There was no point trying to get back to sleep now. I went downstairs into the kitchen, and to my surprise, Demi and Robyn were already there, eating breakfast. Well, Demi was eating breakfast. Robyn was picking at her egg white omelette sulkily while Demi death-glared her from across the table. Now, I know I'm a year younger than Robyn, but even I have to admit she's adorable, in a scrawny little kid kind of way. She was slouched at the table, wearing Demi's baggy button-up giraffe onesie with the hood pulled up over her head, the felt ears attached to the top of the hood standing straight up. The onesie was so large that it looked like Robyn was drowning in fabric; the arm and leg sleeves hanging way over the end of her limbs. When she looked up at me, I noticed her dark, half-closed eyes, ringed by bags from endless nights of little sleep, and the little red freckles that dotted her cheeks like a backwards ladybug. Her light brown hair, which reached to just above her belly button when loose, was in two Dutch braids, messy and tousled from sleep, but cute nonetheless.

"Somebody looks tired," I observed, walking to the kitchen island where my phone lay on a pile of books.

"No shit," Robyn shot back.

I reached for my phone, but before I got to it, Demi was up and out of her seat, somehow fast enough to snatch my phone away from my hand and replace it with one of the books.

"No electronics, you're grounded, remember?" Demi singsonged.

I scowled, folding my arms and dropping thebook back on the table. "That's stupid," I informed her, stalking to the cupboard to get the Frosted Flakes.

Demi shrugged as I sloshed milk and cereal into my bowl and brought it to the table. "Tough luck, kiddo. Guess you'll just have to live with it."

Ignoring my older sister, I set my bowl down beside Robyn's plate, which she had made very little progress on. Lifting her easily into the air amid her annoyed protests, I plopped down into her chair and sat her back onto my lap, cuddling her in my panda onesie-clad arms. We were quite the opposites. Robyn, although thirteen, could be mistaken easily for seven or eight years old, especially with her tiny frame and two long pigtail braids. I, on the other hand, although twelve, have been mistook many times for a fifteen or sixteen year old.

I grabbed Robyn's fork and stabbed a piece of omelette, raising it to Robyn's mouth. "Choo choo!" I called, bouncing her on my lap as I mushed the egg against her lips in hopes that she would eat it. Alas, no such luck.

Robyn reached back and slapped my ass. Yep. Her cuteness was gone. "Fuck you, Mads," she growled, and I wasted no time in shoving the egg into her open mouth as she swore.

"Stawp fwhatf are youf ewen dojing, weirdo," Robyn grumbled, spewing bits of egg everywhere as she talked.

"Feeding you!" I announced cheerfully. "I'm your aunt, it's my job to watch over the young 'uns."

"Aunt?" Robyn asked doubtfully. "Since when? And you're younger than me, stupid."

Demi interrupted us. "Well, yeah, Robyn, I was serious about what I said yesterday," she said nervously. "I would love to adopt you, in which case, yes, Maddie would be your aunt, as weird as that sounds. I understand the adoption process could be difficult, since you're technically not an orphan, and of course it's still your choice, and I know it's a big decision--"