Chapter 39

Chapter 39
BEA'S POV

Maddie was brushing her teeth, Robyn was changing into pajamas, and I was curled up in the middle of the bed, waiting for the both of them to get into bed with me (no, don't even think like that, you NASTY). Secretly, I was kinda hoping Robyn would be sleeping beside me, because...well...you know. Of course, I reminded myself that Maddie would be right beside us so we couldn't really do anything, but still. I'd take what I could get.

Robyn came bursting out of Maddie's walk in closet, wearing some Egyptian mummy graphic crop top and a pair of low slung sweatpants that were Maddie's size, way too big for her tiny frame. They were so long that she had to pull the elastic openings at the end of the pant legs over her heels, like stirrup pants.

"Beat-rice! Aren't I faaaabulous?" Robyn announced, striking a pose with her arms above her head. Her crop top rose up even more and I could see more than a few inches of her toned stomach. I forced myself to ignore the scars I could see littering her midriff and shivered a little at my crush's well defined abs and then brought myself back to reality, biting my lip.

"I thought I'd go mummy themed tonight," Robyn remarked sarcastically, looking down at her mummy shirt and then gesturing to her still heavily bandaged arm. "Maybe this should be my Halloween costume..."

I swallowed a lump in my throat as I remembered what Robyn had done to herself to earn those bandages. Pushing the bad thoughts out of my mind, I agreed. "I dare you to use that as your Halloween costume," I smirked. "Yenno, just the mummy shirt and the bandages. No pants, of course." I wanted to say more, but Maddie was in the bathroom a few feet away, so I had to keep it PG. Instead I went with a subtle wink, and Robyn grinned slyly back at me as she charged onto the bed and snuggled into my side.

"Thank you so much for everything," Robyn whispered, clinging onto me koala style.

"Hmm?" I asked, waiting for her to go on."

"Thank you for being so amazing, Bea. I thought you were gonna hate me after you found out about everything, but you're okay with it and that means the world to me."

I smiled and pulled her even closer, the younger girl curling into my chest. "Of course, Rob. I couldn't imagine not being friends with you just because of a mental illness. I love you as more than just a friend or a sister, I can't even explain it. Besides, it's my job to be here for you, I'm your gir-...girlfr..." The word caught in my throat. What if she didn't think we were ready for that yet?

"Girlfriend?" Robyn finished, grinning up at me. "I think that's the word you were looking for, huh?"

I nodded. "Yeah, might have been that one," I agreed, laughing off my awkwardness.

"I'm your...girlfriend," Robyn whispered again as she tilted her head to press her warm lips against my cheek. "Girlfriend."

My heart began to speed up and my breathing quickened as my fingertips lingered over the scars embossed on her stomach. "I can't believe a pretty girl like you could do that to yourself," I mumbled, kissing Robyn's forehead. "Don't you ever touch your own skin like that ever again, okay?"

"Okay," Robyn breathed, grabbing my neck softly and pulling our lips back together. I could feel her hot breath on my own, our noses brushing, and our lips just millimeters apart when we suddenly heard the loud sound of a toilet flush and we sprang apart, pushing each other to opposite ends of the bed.

Maddie sauntered out of the washroom, oblivious to the tension she had broken just seconds before. "Y'all ready for bed?" she cheered, much too loud for the atmosphere Robyn and I had shared moments ago.

"So ready!" We replied, our hearts both racing with the possibility of discovery just narrowly missed. To our dismay, Maddie flung herself onto the bed right in between the both of us, spreading herself out on the sheets.