Chapter 27

ROBYN'S POV

"By the way, Demi's picking us up at noon to go out for lunch, and then bringing us back after. So don't go anywhere when the lunch bell rings," Maddie reminded me. I snorted.

It wasn't like I had anywhere to go anyways. I wasn't really counting on making friends anytime soon.

I stepped into the math classroom with Maddie by my side, and all the faces turned to look at me. Maddie smiled politely at the man at the front of the room.

"You're late, Madison and new girl," the man grumbled.

I looked at Maddie for instructions on how to respond. Thank goodness, she seemed to know what she was doing. I was so happy that she's in all my classes, because I'd be lost without her. Good thing she skipped grade two, or else she'd be a grade lower than me!

"Sorry Mr. Zerbinos," Maddie replied confidently. "I was just helping my, um....sister get her new timetable."

I watched as the kids' eyes all bugged out, and imagined what they were thinking. THE Madison De La Garza and Demi Lovato had another sister? Since when?

"Your sister?" The man who must be Mr. Zerbinos questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Yep," Maddie confirmed with a finality in her voice, daring someone to challenge her. Demi, her, and I had decided together that the easiest thing would be to tell everyone that Demi had adopted me from an orphanage, so that my rough family history could be forgotten. Maddie didn't like the idea of telling people she was my aunt, since that would be kind of weird as she was younger than me, so she decided to refer to me as her sister.

"Take a seat then, Ms. De La Garza and Ms..." Mr. Zerbinos hesitated.

"Lovato, sir. Robyn Lovato," I clarified in a small voice.

"Thank you, Robyn. You may sit wherever you want. Madison, you can sit in your old spot."

I nodded and scanned the room awkwardly for a place to sit, as Maddie skipped to her desk, where she sat down beside a pretty girl with long brown hair, who I recognized off Twitter as Olivia Stuck. I searched the room for Bea, but when I couldn't find her, I remembered she was a year older than me. Finally, I decided on an empty spot in the middle of the room, beside a nice enough looking girl. She had dirty blonde hair in a ponytail with a large floppy red bow attached to the top of her head, and her dark red and blue unbuttoned plaid flannel shirt matched the bow as well as her sparkling blue eyes. Underneath the flannel she wore a red and white VANS shirt, along with studded denim shorts and dark red knock off Vans. I knew because Demi had bought me the same ones in white from H&M.

The girl turned to me, smiling. "Hey, I'm Amanda," she whispered, as Mr. Zerbinos started his math lesson.

"Robyn Lovato," I said, rather unnecessarily, as everyone had been listening to our conversation with the teacher at the beginning of class anyways.

"So Maddie says you want to join cheer, huh?" she asked, and I realized that this was the 'point flyer' girl Maddie had mentioned during breakfast. That would explain the gigantic bow in her hair.

"Um, yeah, I guess so," I replied uncertainly. I still didn't really know if I wanted to join. It seemed like such a...girly sport! I'd much rather do volleyball.

"Oh my gosh, you're gonna love it! You're tiny; you could probably be a flyer if you're good enough. Why don't you come to our practice after school today? To check it out and whatnot!"

"Oh, um, sure," I agreed. "Where is it? The school gym?"

"No, silly! They don't have any decent equipment! We train at Cheering Hearts All Star Gym, just down the road from the school campus!" This girl's every sentence seemed to end with an exclamation mark. Peppy much?

"Oh right," I said, recalling Maddie telling me that earlier and feeling dumb. I tried to picture a cheer team and only saw skinny air headed white girls waving poms poms at hot football guys. I couldn't imagine them needing a whole lot of fancy equipment for that, but whatever. "I guess I'll see you then."

"Great!" Amanda chirped, and she turned back to face the front and listen to Mr. Zerbinos.

I turned my attention to the teacher too, and tried to focus in. Really, I did try. It's not easy with ADHD. Bored, I started to spin my pencil in my fingers, something I had picked up from YouTube. I was getting pretty good at it, and I span the pen faster and faster....until it flew out of my hand and to the other side of the room with a clink as it rolled under a desk. Mr. Zerbinos glared at me and all the other students giggled, and I innocently looked straight ahead as if nothing had happened. The only good thing about ADHD was that it seemed to totally cancel out my anxiety. When my ADHD acted up, I didn't feel anxious or self conscious at all.

Once someone had retrieved my pen for me and Mr. Zerbinos had gone back to teaching, I resumed my idle fiddling. It didn't really occur to me to actually listen, or anything dumb like that. There were so many better things I could be doing! Doodling, playing on my phone, texting...ooh! Running! I want to go for a run! Maybe we could go play tag? Without stopping to think, I raised my hand.

"Mr. Zerbinos, could we go outside and play a game or two of tag?"

MADDIE'S POV

I looked over at Robyn. She was shuffling around in her seat, playing with her pen, and overall looking extremely restless. Suddenly, she put her hand up.

"Mr. Zerbinos, could we go outside and play a game or two of tag?" I face palmed so hard I think I bruised my forehead. Did she seriously just ask if we could go play tag?

The class laughed, and Mr. Zerbinos scowled. "Very funny, Ms. Lovato. But no."

Robyn sat down, totally unaware that every single person in the room was staring at her. I shook my head at her, trying to convey the sentence, "Don't ask the math teacher to let you play tag," without actually speaking, but she merely pulled a face at me and resumed doodling.

Everything was normal for another five minutes, before Mr. Zerbinos once again stopped his lecture. "Robyn," he sighed exasperated. "please sit down!"

I looked over at her and, lo and behold, there she was, sitting not at, but ON her desk....stretching? This kid was getting stranger by the minute.

"Oh, okay, sorry!" Robyn said, as if she had been doing nothing wrong, and with that she got back in her seat. The other kids in the class looked down at their laps with concealed smiles, except for Amanda, who shot Robyn an impressed look, probably admiring her flexibility.

"And please, Ms. Lovato," Mr. Zerbinos sighed, "put your toys away."

Robyn frowned and pocketed a mass of little silver balls she had been fiddling with under her desk. "They're just magnets," she mumbled.

"I don't really care what they are. See me at lunchtime for detention, kiddo."

Wow. Detention on her first day. This girl was on a roll. Wait what about Demi? We were supposed to have lunch together! I raised my hand to tell Mr. Zerbinos.

--------

A/N: This chapter is dedicated to @ddlovatooooo for guessing the song in the last chapter! (In Case). Thank you for reading and commenting on my chapters :)

The next chapter is dedicated to someone who answers the following questions:

1. A big plot twist that could happen?

2. Who's POV do you want to see more of/who should appear more in the story?

3. Is this story getting boring, if so, how should I spice it up?

4. I have another fanfiction that I've been working on about a girl who's teacher is Demi. I'm at 11300 words so far. Should I post it soon? If I did, comment if you would read it!

Thanks for being such fantastic readers y'all! Message me if you're bored and want a new friend because I'm on summer vacation with nothing to do!

-Emilyyyyyy