Chapter 16

SELENA'S POV

I rushed to the two girls huddled in the corner of a sketchy grey building. "Maddie!" I called, recognizing her familiar figure. Another unrecognizable body lay in a heap next to her, one I hadn't ever seen. That must be Robyn. How did they even end up together? It's not like they had ever met...oh well. That was the least of my worries.

"Madison!" I shouted angrily. "What on Earth were you thinking? Everyone is so wor--" I stopped when Maddie turned around and I noticed the fear plastered across her face. She was crouched beside Robyn, her eyes glistening, her hands clamped tightly on Robyn's shoulders.

"I...I don't know what I did! She just...she just...got this look in her eyes and she went crazy and now she won't talk to me!" Maddie babbled hysterically.

"Shhh, slow down, what happened? Tell me slower. Calm down, Mads." I rubbed her back in what I hoped was a comforting way, but it felt really weird considering I had been making out with her half sister a little under two hours ago.

"Okay, okay. I told her she needed to eat her breakfast, and she stabbed a piece of hash brown with her fork and I thought she was going to eat it, but then she just threw it down and went all spazzy and stuff! I don't know what I did wrong but I didn't mean it, whatever I did!" Maddie sniffed, on the verge of tears.

Oh no. This was not sounding good. I had gone through very similar situations with Demi in the months leading up to her rehab stint. I would try to get her to eat, and she would just shut down. Did Robyn have an eating disorder?

"Um, okay. I think she's just in shock and her body had to shut down to adjust," I told Maddie. I picked Robyn up into my arms, almost dropping her because I was so shocked by how light she was. Too light. "She's trembling. We need to get her somewhere warm," I muttered. I ran her to the car, Maddie following behind, and I shoved them both into the backseat. Shutting the door and getting in the front seat, I made sure to put child lock on (Just in case Maddie got any crazy escape ideas) before starting the car and starting to drive, simultaneously calling Marissa on the car phone.

"Lunch is off, I found them. Meet me back at Demi's," I said as soon as Marissa picked up on the second ring. Without waiting for an answer, I ended the call.

I turned around and craned my neck over my shoulder, looking directly at Maddie. "Don't think you guys are off the hook just yet. Demi is going to be pissed," I warned her.

"I know," Maddie sighed. "I don't even care. I just want Robyn to wake up soon, I hope she's okay."

I looked in the rear view mirror to see Robyn leaning against Maddie's shoulder, still out cold. Maddie had her arms wrapped around Robyn's middle like she intended to never let go. Robyn muttered something in her sleep and snuggled in even closer to Maddie. Awwww. I could see why Demi had fallen for the little girl; she was so cute, and I haven't even talked to her yet, but I could tell she would be super sweet.

Soon we were back at Demi's house, and I parked the car right beside Marissa's. She must have arrived at the house before us. Getting out of the driver's seat, I unbuckled Robyn from the back and pulled her into my arms again. Her forehead was creased and she was whimpering, plus her whole body was still shaking violently. Transferring her over to one shoulder, I used my free hand to hold onto Maddie as we walked up the driveway. I couldn't risk her trying any funny business and running away again.

We got to the door and I wasted no time in banging it open loudly with my foot. As soon as the door opened, Demi whirled around to face us, and her expression went through a dozen emotions at once, as if she couldn't decide whether to be happy, angry, sad, worried, furious, or relieved. She ended up choosing angry and started shouting furiously at the two girls. Well, Maddie, mostly, because Robyn was still unconscious. Demi didn't seem to notice that part. Luckily, Marissa ran over to her and whispered in Demi's ear, no doubt alerting her of Robyn's distressed state. Although I knew it was just a friendly gesture, I grew jealous as I watched Marissa snaking her arms around Demi's waist from behind, and I had to force myself to refrain from ditching Robyn and running over to take Marissa's place.