Chapter 13: The Sanctuary

Go-bot's system rebooted itself. What had happened? He was travelling, and then the ship slowed down. Except it didn't slow down enough. The radar said he was approaching a planet, and then.... Then a crash. Then he died?

No, if he died he'd be, dead, which he wasn't. Maybe? Well. Where do robots go after they die? Maybe he went to some place robots go to after they die then. Go-bot was confused. He could hear tinkering of nuts and bolts above him. He activated his body and sat up, his visual systems turned on and he took in the world around him.

The environment was very different to what he was used to. Lots of green everywhere, the sky was bluer than he'd seen before. The green stuff on the ground, it was waving back and forth. It must have been windy. Maybe.

What was that tinkering? He looked up,

"Ah, perfect! It worked!" said a pleasant voice, "It's lucky I found you, you would've turned into a bucket of rust if I didn't! Now stay still..."

Go-bot didn't stay still, he turned to see where the voice was coming from. It was a Serv, a Serv was kneeling next to him and... rummaging around in his brain cavity!

"Nooo!" exclaimed Go-bot, "my brain!"

"No don't worry!" the Serv replied, "I'm just fixing you up! There's a bit of rudimentary damage inside your shell, I just need to shift things around to make things a little more efficient."

"No stop! You're a bad Serv, why are you hurting me!?" Go-bot was having trouble calming down. He wasn't usually this emotional. The Serv looked at him, even though he was kneeling, Go-bot could tell he was tall, over six feet. Masculine stature, dark eyes and short brown hair, ah, and his shell was an odd colour, a yellowy shade of beige, he was also wearing some fabric around his crotch and bottom. He looked quite a lot like... like the image the Major had put up a while back when showing what the standard human male looked like. What a coincidence, "I'm a Serv too! Why are you hurting me!?"

"Oh dear, it seems breaking your limiter had made you extremely emotional. Those Serv robots certainly are cruel, aren't they?" said the Serv, "No no, I'm not a Serv," said the being that was probably a Serv, "I'm an Evo."

Go-bot paused for a moment and tried to process this.

"No, you are a Serv." Go-bot replied, surprisingly defiantly.

"No... I'm an Evo. I think I'd know if I were a Serv."

"But you look like a Serv, so you are a Serv."

"Well you look like an Evo. What are you?"

"I'm a..." Go-bot paused for a moment. What was he again? Go-bot was having a headache.

"Anyway, don't worry, I haven't touched Aphrodite yet, I didn't want to take her without your consent. I assume Schweitzer must have tricked you into bringing her here."

Go-bot looked around, next to him was the space pod, it had crash landed but it was largely in decent shape. Aphrodite was... she was awake! She was sitting on the grass naked playing with butterflies that were dancing around her. She didn't seem to be worried or stressed.

"What's your name anyway, friend?" asked the Serv-but-maybe-not-a-Serv,

"Go-bot." Go-bot replied bluntly,

"Oh my, what an unfortunate name. Well, it's nice to meet you Go-bot. My name's Locke."

"The friend of the other Evo." Schweitzer,