Chapter 63: Gobot's Infiltration

After navigating the maze of small roads, Sylvie and Gobot managed to reach the area surrounding the tower. A pitch black night, the tower commanded the sky like a monstrous titan. There was a small factory complex at the base and a wired fence going all around. Sylvie wasn't quite sure where the entrance was.

"This is scary Ms Sylvie." said Gobot,

"Uh, yeah, it sure is!" Sylvie exclaimed, "jeez, it looks scary from far away, but close up... Damn." this fear, it was an emotion she'd never felt before. A feeling of dread that she couldn't quite place. She really didn't expect it to turn her stomach so much.

Rumbling noises came from the tower every now and then. Sylvie wasn't quite sure why.

"Gobot, you got any intel on this place?" asked Sylvie,

"No Ms Sylvie."

"Man, when're you gonna stop calling me Miss?"

"Sorry Ms Sylvie." Gobot hung his doggy head.

Sylvie tutted. She checked the airwaves to see if they were open, maybe The Major was around.

"Major? Are you there?" she spoke in her head. There was a brief gap, but then a voice broke the silence,

"Ah Sylvie. I was just having breakfast. Is something going on?" even with the time difference, it was quite late to be having breakfast. The Major was being quite scatty. Sylvie couldn't help but wonder why.

"I didn't really waste any time ma'am, I'm at the tower."

"I see. Well done, already getting to work. Perhaps this mission will be shorter than I thought."

"Ma'am, do you have any information about the towers? Anything that can help me before I infiltrate. I mean... this is my first ever solo infiltration mission." The Major was meant to be her operator but if there was no intel, there was no point.

"I don't know much about the towers at all. It's not my jurisdiction. I've been trying to research as much as I can for you but, you understand that doing so without being suspicious is difficult, even for me. My recommendation is to send Gobot in for reconnaissance. Going in blind would be a bad idea."

"Oh. Y-you mean hacking him and going in, right?" Sylvie had never done a Block-2 type hack, hacking someone to the point where you had full control of them. The idea of it scared her somewhat.

"No!" the Major was suddenly, "n-no. Don't use your Block-2 skills."

"...Why not Major?"

"I'll tell you when you can use a Block-2 skill. I'd rather you shy away from Block-2 classified missions for the time being."

"Why?"

Again, radio silence, the Major wasn't replying at all.

"Major?"

"If you fail a Block-2 mission. There are consequences. Even minor sub-missions like base infiltration. I'd rather you not take that risk."

"Consequences?"

"We're ending this conversation here Sylvie. I don't want to discuss it any further. Send Gobot in, get him to record as much intel as possible and maintain radio communication with him. Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am." what was the Major trying to hide from her? She was a Block-2, so didn't this already classify as a Block-2 mission? It seemed that in reality Block-2 missions were only classified as such when Block-2 abilities were used.

But then, what about the fact that she had Block-2 autonomy? She'd been living that this whole time.

"Gobot, were you tuned in? Did you hear that conversation?"