Chapter 59: A New Life

Sylvie never thought it was going to be like this.

Washing dishes behind the counter in a diner.

So that's what being an undercover agent was all about? She'd spent two months working in a city slum masquerading as a Block-4 waitress in a run down restaurant. Most of the people who she served were Block-4 workers and their Block-3 managers who were looking to just relax.

Absolute boredom.

And she was having trouble pretending to be a Block-4, every time she accidentally dropped cutlery or broke a dish she'd show visible frustration or annoyance.

Block-4s had limited autonomy. Little emotion.

She had to emulate that.

And so, the sun was setting and yet another busy day of doing nothing was about to end.

"Your work's getting sloppy" a male voice. It was her manager, the owner of the diner. A male X43 model. Lean body, red shell, short brown hair. His body was quite bland but he wore protective clothing over it quite often to protect himself from the sand on windy days. His design spec indicated that he was much older than her, and it did seem that it'd been a while since he'd had any maintenance. "Maybe you should go to a repair centre and see if there's a problem with your offset." his name was Zane, and he was a very kind person, despite the terrible position The Major had put Sylvie in, it was nice to have a manager like Zane around.

Things could've been a lot worse. Maybe.

Block-4s were treated like dirt most of the time. If Zane was any other manager he would've got Sylvie replaced because of how unskilled she was.

"I'm sorry Zane. I'll be more focused next time." but Sylvie had to be as robotic and as emotionless as possible when talking back. She was a Block-4 as far as everyone else knew. A servant.

She still had a Block-3, no, Block-2 body. But it was suited up to look very bland. It had black protective coating and a white apron, it had no colour, no designs or ornaments. Completely boring. Thankfully Sylvie had managed to persuade The Major to let her wear short purple hair for her new identity. But still, the new look was too alien to her.

"Anyway, where's that puppy of yours?" asked Zane, "he hasn't been out for a walk for a while has he? Take him out for a while will you? A ten minute break."

The "puppy" Zane was talking about. Was Gobot.

His body had been repurposed.

The outer areas of Mars were potentially off the network, meaning that not everyone knew that Gobot was a safe Evo to have around. Having him walk around in public in the off-network towns would cause absolute hysteria. Hence The Major changed his body to look like that of a one year old puppy. Biological. Extremely advanced technology but to be honest if you paid attention it was still quite obvious he was a robot. The fur was convincing but Gobot's movements were stiff and jilted as ever.

He looked cute though. He was sitting next to the front door, short black and white fur, stubby legs, his little tongue was a bit too long for his mouth so it stuck out a tad.

"Thank you sir. I'll be back in ten minutes." Sylvie curtseyed and walked out of the diner, Gobot followed behind.

The outer city slum of Zedek, a rotten metropolis almost on the other side of the planet from Mars Central, that's where her little diner was located. Around her stood seedy bars, weapon shops, drug dealers, vagabonds...

...

Things she'd never known even existed.

It had been an odd few months, learning about the cities on the other side of the planet, the cities that had cut themselves off the network.