Chapter 20: Seekers of Knowledge

A few weeks had passed, Locke had started to let Aphrodite go out on her own during the day now, as long as she kept her disguise on. He said she needed to now gain a "more human mindset", although after her many excursions outside she didn't feel very different. He said she needed to understand humans, that she needed to awaken the most human sides of herself, and that she needed to embrace herself fully as a human. It made no sense to her. It's not like she was an Evo or a Serv, what else could she be but human? Locke told her being human was a state of mind, was that true? Was it really more than just having a human body?

It was a sunny afternoon and sat in the church with a book on her lap, light was beating through the giant windows of the building and illuminated the statue at the end. Ten or so children were sitting on the floor around her, only a few years younger than her fourteen-year-old self, but still young enough to look up to her as a senior.

Aphrodite read out loud, talking about concepts that were far too advanced for the children to understand, but still, they were enamoured by her, indeed, the entire town was. Her intelligence far outshined their own. Her knowledge of mathematics, linguistics, science, it was all far more advanced.

She originally thought that it was because she was fed a lot of information during her mental programming, but Locke told her that intelligence wasn't just about knowledge. She had more than just knowledge, she had comprehension. That was another thing that made her truly a remarkable human.

So these beings in this town. What were they? They were sterile, they lacked capacity to learn and were largely spoon-fed by Locke, they understood concepts relevant to their period but couldn't advance further.

Was this really a town of humans? Or maybe it was just a town of imposters. Shadows of mankind that didn't quite represent them well enough. No, don't think that way, these people were lovely, they took her in with open arms. The smiling faces of the children who listened intently to her as she read out poems from Songs of Innocence and Experience was enough to make her realise.

She liked it here.

Life was good.

Later that day, Aphrodite went out fishing with some of the adults, they didn't know what fishing was, but she'd learned about it, and she'd practiced, these humans who were so used to getting supplements from Locke were extremely excited to learn this magnificent skill, and indeed, Aphrodite's ability to catch fish was fascinating.

The other adults, they tried their best, and had been doing so for several sessions now, but still they failed.

In the evening Aphrodite sat with the elders and kept them company, telling them about mankind's history, about how significant their existence was. She tried her best to give these decaying specimens, these first generation humans, some purpose before they passed away.

Sadly, while they found her voice relaxing and sweet, they had a lot of trouble understanding the meaning of their existence, the point of their being. And this disappointed Aphrodite greatly.

Mankind, throughout history they've existed as beings who ponder why they exist. If there was anything that set them apart from other intelligences in the universe, it was that.

But it seemed like Aphrodite was the only one. She was the only one who asked the all encompassing question:

"Why?"

***

By the time night had fallen, Aphrodite was exhausted. She'd found her place in the town, she was the educator. But it was quite depressing that she didn't seem to be getting anywhere, despite how appreciative everyone was. She was now just sat on her bed, talking to Go-bot like she always did.

"Go-bot, what did you do today?" asked Aphrodite.

"Ah, I went to the church again!" Go-bot exclaimed, Aphrodite must have missed him when she went,

"You've been going there a lot, is it because of that statue?"

"I want to know the meaning of the statue."

"The meaning?" Locke had told Aphrodite that the statue was placed there as a totem, something for the humans so worship. She was told that it was largely successful, indeed, half of the humans took to the statue like moths to a flame. It seemed the other half were quite sceptical however, some even created their own gods based on nothing but conjecture. A curious divide between the humans, but a harmless one.

"I thought she looked like someone I knew. But I don't know any humans. So it doesn't look like someone I know." Go-bot continued, "but she's meant to be a 'god' isn't she?"

"People think she's a god. That doesn't mean she's a god Go-bot."

"But if god exists, there's nothing wrong with praying to something that you think is kinda like it, right? Even if it doesn't look right." Go-bot wasn't really making sense, "...I think the word is, 'idol' that's what it is."

"God doesn't exist Go-bot." Aphrodite sighed,

"I know," Go-bot replied, "but to them, it does. To Mr Ava, Gods exist, to Evos, a God exists. They all have gods."

"I'm not sure I understand Go-bot."

"Me neither," Go-bot's voice was forlorn. "I want more data. More data will help me."

"Because you want to learn more Go-bot?" Aphrodite smiled,

"No. I want more data because more data makes me like you humans." His voice perked up, "You taught me a lot about humans, I like them now. I want to be one!"

These humans weren't very good at data retention though.

A knock at the door.

"Come in," said Aphrodite. It was obviously Locke. He once again had a newspaper in his hand.

"Oh it's lovely to see you both back!" said Locke,

"Thank you, you too uncle Locke."

"I've prepared food for you Aphrodite, and Go-bot you can use my charging dock now if you want!"

"Thank you uncle Locke!" said Go-bot in response,

"Hm, was I interrupting something?" Locke asked, he seemed to notice Aphrodite's dead stare, "is something wrong?" she was staring at the newspaper.

"Another person?" she asked, "someone else was murdered?"

"Erm, well," he had trouble maintaining eye contact, the shame of not catching the culprit must have been getting to him. How many deaths was that now? Ten? Ten girls that looked similar to Aphrodite.

"Don't you at least know why these poor girls are dying? Why are these women even out at night?" Aphrodite asked, "And why do all these girls look like me!?"

"I don't know Aphrodite," Locke sighed, "but don't worry. You're safe. You won't die."

"You've got no idea at all?"

"No but... I mean, it's fine, there only needs to be one Aphrodite, your doppelgangers aren't necessary anymore, the original is here. You're all that matters Aphrodite."

"What!?" Aphrodite's voice soared, "not necessary anymore? What are you saying!?"

Locke didn't say anything for a while. Finally, with a sinister shadow to his voice, he replied:

"Aphrodite. Don't go out at night. You must survive, you're beautiful, the only human alive. Remember how important you are." He muttered. With that, he walked out.