End of Part 3: Aphrodite's Plan

Aphrodite couldn't help but feel a big a tang of guilt every time Ava examined a body, like it was nothing but a piece of meat, she could see that Ava was feeling rather guilty too, a hint of sadness in his face. They were nothing but collections of metal and synthetic flesh tied together, their minds long gone. But still, some of them, Aphrodite recognised some of them.

Ava walked up to one coffin, he examined it.

"I think this resembles her body a bit, I can't totally remember what her body was like. I mean, I never really paid attention."

Aphrodite recognised that body. That was the 'daughter' of the shopkeeper opposite her house at the sanctuary. They'd talked a handful of times, they weren't friends per se, but she knew her. She saw her smile and laugh in the market, she'd seen her cry next to her boyfriend in the town square, once she got into an argument with her father and was seen storming out of the shop. She'd shown all these emotions, this girl Aphrodite barely knew. These artificial emotions that were completely real, they belonged to this lifeless collection of synthetic materials. How many bodies had she sent Locke to gather for her? Almost one hundred at this point, it was inevitable that some of them would be people she knew.

"N-no, maybe one of the bodies on the right." she didn't know those girls to the right that much, maybe it'd be less of a big deal,

"I think these girls are a little shorter but, their shells, I mean, skin, is closer to the colour of her face and hands." very pale, from what Aphrodite remembered, Ava's friend had very pale skin. "Maybe this one." Ava pointed at a body of a rather average frame, not too short, not too tall, not too curvy, not too straight, completely average, absolute proof that Ava hadn't paid much attention to Sylvie's body before.. Ava still had that look of guilt on his face.

It couldn't be helped. He wanted his Sylvie back, this was the only way.

"Come on Locke, let's take her with us to the operating room."

***

It took days upon days of examining, dissecting and testing to ensure the body was completely primed for the change. Once Aphrodite had confirmed that the body was in perfect working order, she immediately went to work on changing the Evo's faceplate and replacing it with Sylvies. Of course the bodies were made in completely different ways, so swapping the plates out was an arduous process in and of itself. But both synthetic materials were essentially the same, and thankfully, Sylvie's face and skin successfully adjusted to the new skull and fused with it with little problem.

With that done, it was simply a case of modifying the hardware of the Evo body so that it accepted inputs from a Serv brain case instead of an Evo one. The cases were different shapes, but Aphrodite managed to make space to fit Sylvie's in with little trouble. Deep inside of the Evo's chest, where a steely and impenetrable supercomputer lay, now replaced by that of another.

It certainly was weird, how the humanoid Evos didn't keep their braincases in their skull like humans and normal Servs did. They kept it in a place more vulnerable, a place easily damaged. Where the human heart would usually be, in fact.

Maybe just another case of Evos misunderstanding how the human body worked.

Who knew?

Either way, after almost a week, the operation was completely finished. It was just a matter of taking Sylvie out of deep sleep.

Ava and Locke all stood over the operating table where Sylvie lay. Completely naked and with wires coming out of her chest, she lay there, still as a rock. Aphrodite was standing next to a terminal on the edge of the wall that connected to these wires, a keyboard with a big enter button just waiting to get pressed. The easiest and quickest was to push a Serv out of deep sleep was to deliver a power surge straight to the brain. The stimulation would kickstart her system and bring her back, and so, by pressing the enter button. That's exactly what she did.