Chapter 15: Major's Last Stand

The Mother Brain was done with its negotiations, for a while she said nothing, and no-one else was sure what to say to break the silence. Finally, she spoke.

"It doesn't matter. We sent out a kill order on the human two years ago to every Evo on the network. I suppose she's not dangerous any more at least. We won't destroy your planet, but you'll die here today. Your Copy-AI system won't be able to save you this time." She said frankly.

"Tch!" The Major stayed steadfast as she noticed all around her, a sea of Evos started to materialise from out of nothing. They were using extremely advanced camouflaging technology, they'd masked every hint of their presence up to that moment. Hundreds upon hundreds of metal monstrosities made their presence known, all of them high-level war machines that were usually reserved for leading army troops. Giant tanks with spider-like legs, floating orbs with rotating mini-guns, Evos on tracks with long range cannons attached. Some more Evos materialised in the small gaps in between the giant robots. Smaller Evos that looked like Go-bot, painted red. Kamikaze bots.

The shock of the situation affected everyone. Even The Major was stunned, she thought Block-0s kept their word? They were divine beings, they couldn't lie... Gods didn't lie. Did they? Still, she didn't falter.

"Hey," The Major said to the other Block-1s, "return to the ship." They nodded and ran off without any delay. The Evos were starting to boot up fully, they'd strike at any moment,

This would be a shitty way to die.

"All Block-3s. It's time to retreat!" she yelled. She didn't want Copy-AIs in her army, she wanted her soldiers to remain who they were. As such, they needed to be saved. They couldn't be put on the front line.

She could tell no-one wanted to listen to her, they didn't agree with what was about to happen, but thankfully her Block-1 authority meant they had no choice. They had to escape without her.

Someone was trying to connect to her. Oh, the connection had been requested for quite a while. She accepted.

"Major!" it was Ava, "We've finished the mission!"

"Good. Get you can retreat now." The Major replied,

"Like hell I will! You think I don't know what's going on over there!? What kind of hacker do you think I am!?"

Now that did shock her. He'd used his network hack to spy on the situation. Clever bastard.

"Ok well, it's too bad. But you should really leave this to me."

"Are you crazy!? There's a thousand S-Class Evos out there!"

"I don't have time to talk Ava, I need to protect the ship while it escapes," she pulled out her baton and pressed a button on the base, it extended and started to crackle with electricity, The Major's baton was special, bladed along the side. Essentially a sword. "I was born a Block-3 you know, and like I've said before. Old habits die hard." The Evos opened fire, a barrage of explosions that were strong enough to light up the sky.

End communication.

***

"Shit!" Ava exclaimed. "What the hell is she planning!?"

"Us Block-3s, we're built so that we'll die for those who are ranked higher than us, if need be. I mean... I know she's a Block-1 now but, I dunno, maybe there's still a bit of Block-3 in her?" Sylvie replied. She was crestfallen, what else was there they could do?