Chapter 64: The Bombs

Koreh pulled out what looked like a small scanner. It was nothing more than a screen that fit into the palm of his hand, but the screen itself showed a wireframe model of the inside of the tower, along with several glowing dots along the bottom of the wireframe structure. In the darkness of the cold night, the brightness of the screen was enough to illuminate the whole area.

"All those glowing dots. Those are the bombs that we placed. It's still not enough to topple the place though," he pointed to the screen to show Sylvie what he was talking about.

"No way! Actual bombs!?" Sylvie needed to tone in down to stay in character, "I mean. Where did you find bombs? And that scanner?"

"Black market of course."

"Black market?" what was a black market? Sylvie had never heard of that,

"You really are naive aren't you?"

Sylvie frowned in response, Koreh was bad at not coming across like an asshole,

"In Zedek there are almost no restrictions on what you can buy depending on who you know and how much currency you have. I have no idea where these bomb originally came from, I don't need to know, they're all untraceable anyway." Although it was clear that the bombs were most likely stolen from the military.

"But how do you know how to use this technology, you're a- I mean, you-"

"It's just easier for me to understand and learn things now that I'm unlocked. I'm pretty good at figuring out how to use technology. Installing the bombs and synchronising them with this scanner wasn't too hard for me. I can use this little device to bit-test the bombs too, to make sure they're still responsive."

"I don't know what that means." Koreh really was smart, impressively so. Was is really possible for Block-4 and Block-5 Servs to be this smart?

No.

Stop thinking that way.

The Block system doesn't even exist.

So did that mean that every Serv had the potential to learn, understand, and modify? Was it the network that had been preventing them from evolving as a society all this time?

Sylvie didn't like thinking about stuff like that. It made her head hurt.

"Bit-testing is making sure the signal travels through all the bombs at the same time, so that I can blow the Tower up strategically. Ideally I'd like the bombs to go off in a certain order so that it won't damage the town when the tower collapses. I've been doing this quite often, fine tuning it, making absolutely sure." he smiled, "once the next batch of bombs arrive in a couple of days. We'll be ready to get rid of this place once and for all." he smiled, "our first step towards Serv liberation." Koreh looked up, the tower extended far into the dark skies above, "you know what those towers look like to me?"

"No, like what?"

"Like prison bars. We need to knock them all down Sylvie."

"This... this is a dangerous endeavour Koreh. The Serv military won't let that stuff fly. They'd happily kill Block-4 and Block-5s..." Sylvie might have to do that deed herself.

Kill Koreh.

She'd only just met him, but killing someone with such pure ambition, that weighed quite heavily on her soul.

Would she feel that way if she was still on the network? Sylvie didn't know.

Koreh shrugged,

"They can try to kill me all they want. I'm with some amazing people, we're all fighting for this to happen. And now you're with us too, an ex Block-3, a fighter. We'll protect each other."