Chapter 40: The Lost Souls

The Block-2s... where were they? The Major frowned and clenched her fist.

No distress signals, no beacons, nothing to indicate they were anywhere in the vicinity. The weather was slowly starting to turn into a snowstorm, the strong winds pushing some debris far into the air, the thick flakes making it hard to see very far.

Thermal vision. No, nothing. Not helping at all.

All she could do was just walk back to the cliffside that overlooked the factory, back to where the mission started. Maybe they'd be there. But it'd be a trek, she had run low on energy and would need to stay out in the sun for a long time to recharge, it'd be much better if there was some sort of recharging station nearby but, if there was, she'd almost certainly destroyed it.

She walked into the endless white, going in the approximate direction of where she remembered the cliffside to be, hopefully she'd find something there, she didn't want to go back without them.

Should couldn't bring herself to.

As she walked through the snow, the inches growing and growing, it getting more and more difficult to trudge through, she wondered about what the Heretics were. There wasn't really much explanation for why the Evos had turned on each other. Sadly, the mass destruction The Major had caused meant that there were no Heretics in the area to interrogate.

Was this new god of theirs just an artificial construct? Or was it real? Did something else take the place of Mother? Speaking of which, what happened to Mother anyway? The Major couldn't help but wonder where the war would go now that it was confirmed that the Evos had stopped being a threat. Would everything return to a time of peace?

Wait.

Return?

When was it ever peaceful? Throughout The Major's lifetime there was always war. The two races had been barking at each other for hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

A thump in her chest. It finally hit her. How big this was.

Was... the war over? Something mysterious happened outside of everyone's knowledge and eliminated all threat the Evos posed to the Servs.

Well, no point thinking about it for the time being. Finish the mission. Get back. That was the first call to action.

***

The Major finally made it to the cliffside, and her hunch was right, there were two humanoid figures there, one was laying on the ground, the other hunched over. She seemed to be crying.

It was Lilah, one of the smaller Block-2s, cute and blonde, the baby of the group. She was looking over the corpse of Theadore, whose chest had been torn open. There was a huge empty cavity inside, The Major didn't know much about Serv physiology so she wasn't sure what was meant to be there, but either way, something had been manually tugged out. His body was mutilated. The Major approached Lilah, who had yet to notice her.

"Lilah. Snap out of it!" said The Major, "It's me!"

"M-Major?" Lilah stammered,

"Report. What happened here?"

"...It wasn't my fault. He attacked me."

The Major looked all over Lilah's body. There was splatters of black fluid all over her hands and chest.

"Any particular reason you tore him open after you killed him?" The Major growled,

"I-I..." Lilah didn't seem to have an answer, she didn't know. She wasn't aware. She fell on her knees and held her head in her hands, she screamed for what seemed like ages. Once she was done, there was a stillness in the air. "Major. I think. I think you need... to die."