Vent

George Eaker took a long, deep breath. One shaky foot stepped onto the ledge of the bridge, a loud creak being heard under it. He took a second, long, deep breath and got the second foot on the ledge. If he lost balance, he would fall 500 feet into the water and rocks below.

He didnt mind the idea.

After all, that was why was he was here.

Maybe it was because George Washington declined and shut down every advance he made towards the man. Maybe it was because Philip wouldn't look him in the eyes anymore. Maybe it was because Freedom glared at him whenever he was around. Maybe it was because Richard Price bullied him now and sent his embarrassing nudes to everybody. Maybe it was because Theo avoided him all the time. Maybe it was Georges shoving him in the hall everyday.

Maybe it was because his mom finally moved away... Maybe it was that his dad drank too much...

Maybe it was because the world finally turned its back on him.

George Eaker always knew that all of his "friends" were going to finally admit that they hated him and leave. He accepted that fact and embraced the friendship they offered while they offered it. But, the fact that Philip was the first to leave him caught him off guard. That, and it happened much sooner than he thought.

Freshman year of high school.

The wind blew and George Eaker swore he could feel the bridge sway with the breeze. It was almost a horrific soothing to him. His hand reached into his jacket and pulled out the crumpled up letter, unfolding it and reading over the 7 paragraphs.

1 for Freedom
1 for Philip
1 for Richard
1 for Theo
1 for Georges
1 for Mr.Washington
And 1 for his mom

He set the note on the floor of the bridge, keeping it from blowing away with his phone. George wiped his eyes and looked down below, wondering where he would land. The rocks? The water? The shore?

A roll of thunder came from above and he smiled a little. Philip and him loved thunderstorms. They would sit in the sunroom and look out the windows at the sky. The patterns that the lightning made would make them giggle.

Eaker sniffed and hummed a little. Freedom taught him that. To calm down all he had to do now was hum. Whenever they were cuddling, America would hum while George tapped a beat out on the bed or her back. Now humming seemed to relax him. He liked that.

But he was still scared. Was it going to be painful? He thought back to something Richard said, one night when they were getting high. Something along the lines of "Pain is gonna hurt. But you're gonna live through it. And if you don't live through it, you'll never have to feel pain again! So that's always good."

George liked the idea of feeling of no pain.

"One foot in front of the other ok?" Theo giggled, keeping Eaker balanced on the ice somehow. He whimpered and asked why they were doing this in the first place. She answered simply with a smile, "Once in a lifetime experience, Georgey."

Eaker carefully shuffled his feet forward a little. One foot in front of the other.

"Eaker, promise me something, hmm?"
"Let me plan your funeral... I want you to be beautiful... always... even in death..."
"... alright Georges... alright..."

George had already mentioned in.the letter than Georges would be decorating the funeral.

Washington snapped, "Eaker. You're only 16. I'm not going to have any sex with you!" The man wouldn't listen when Eaker said he didn't want sex. Eaker loved Washington, not the idea of getting fucked by him. "You have a whole life ahead of you, Eaker. Don't waste it."

He frowned and shuffled back a bit. George wanted to do this, he wanted to jump off. All of this pain, this loneliness, this suffering. Nobody would care if he lived or died anyway so why is he suddenly caring so much?!

...

His mother...

Holding him when.he was 4 or so...

She sat him down on the bathroom counter after he fell off his tricycle. He cried so much that day. His mother smiled as she put the bandaids on. "My little sunshine... Never forget that you are a smart, talented, and wonderful kid... Don't let anybody change you, okay? Don't let them break you down."

Eaker let out a sob and stepped back, away from the ledge and onto the safer ground. He crumpled up the note and threw it over the ledge, falling into the water. He kicked a rock and shouted with rage, angry that he couldn't bring himself to die.

...

After a few moments he calmed down and sunk to his knees, sobbing.

"M-mom?" he whimpered, "...Friends?" But George Eaker was alone that day, just as he was the day before. And the entire three weeks before that. He knew he would be alone for the next four years of highschool and probably the next four years of college, if he ever did them.

George Eaker let out a shaky breath before standing up.

He walked over to his bike, hopped on, and went back.home to his dad.