The World Was Wide Enough

"I don't want to do this."

Aaron looked at Alexander and huffed. "Well you have to so don't complain and just do it already."

Alexander slowly and carefully loaded his pistol. He wondered if Aaron knew he was crying. He sighed sadly and closed the pistol, holding it tightly in his hand. Hamilton was shaking so terribly, and he really meant it when he said he didn't want to do this. But Burr's face was cold and dark, a glare playing in his eyes like eels in the deep ocean water. Hamilton was crying, gentle tears dripping down his face.

He had been drunk when he said all that shit about Aaron. Hamilton was drunk and depressed, the usual on a Saturday night. Alex knew that Burr would never date or marry or court again because of his late wife's death, and Hamilton was upset about that. He had been upset about that for a long time. So he spouted off insults to try and get rid of all those lovey dovey feelings. But Alex didn't mean for it to turn out like this. He really didn't. So now here he was, ten paces away from Burr. Facing the South, direction of the wind.

Dawn.

Burr loaded his gun and watched Hamilton mess with his gun like it were a puzzle. He was fiddling with the trigger, his lips pursed. Aaron couldn't see the poor man crying from so far away. Their seconds went to the middle and Alexander prayed that things were settled between them. Sadly his prayers were ripped apart when they looked back at their firsts and shook their heads. Alex nodded a bit and sniffled. The wind was cold and he was so, so tired. He didn't sleep the night before, hoping that Aaron would show at his house some time in the night to call it all off.

But here they were.

Alexander let out a quiet sob as the counting started. He was so scared. He wasn't ready to die, especially not by Aaron's hand. They were at five now, and Alex's hand was trembling too much to properly aim let alone shoot. He couldn't even get his finger on the trigger. Alexander already knew he was going to aim at the sky, but he didn't know what Aaron was going to do. 7. Alexander heard 9 and as fast as he could dropped to the ground.

The bullet was way off, hitting a tree about three feet to the right of where Alexander was standing. Alexander sobbed and curled into a ball. He didn't care about having a reputation in front of these men or staying confident. He didn't care anymore. Alex didn't want to die, and he tossed the gun as far away as he could. He heard a splash and assumed it landed in the nearby water.

Burr walked over to Alexander, staring down at him in confusion. Before he could get anything out Alexander sobbed and mumbled, "I don't wanna die, Burr, sir. I know I should talk less. I know I should listen more. I'm so sorry for what I said about you. Please just don't kill me today." Aaron dropped his gun at Alexander's feet, muttered a goodbye, and went home. Alexander slowly got to his feet and began his boat ride home, sobbing into his knees the whole way. He felt like such a fool, and Alexander wondered if getting shot would have been better than the aching, hopeless love he felt in his heart.