Chapter 3

Flashback...

Hiding behind a tree, (Y/N) waited for Newt to leave the school. This was her schedule everyday for as long as she can remember. She didn't remember when she took a liking to the tall blonde haired boy but she knows that her feelings for him are true. She hid herself behind, letting only her eye to be visible so that she could watch as he left school.

How she wished that she and him could be together. She and him were just schoolmates. She wasn't even certain if he knew her but she knew him. Newt was an average boy in high school and she was the school nerd. (Y/N) might've been the school nerd but she was a respected one. Her mother was a very famous scientist who was able to save a lot of lives.

When she saw him walk away from the school, she left her hiding place and went home. While she was walking, she could've sworn that she felt someone watching her. She turned around but saw no one behind her. Her phone started to ring, she picked it up and saw that it was her mom.

"Mom, what is it?" She asked.

"(Y/N) where are you?" Her voice seemed frantic.

"I'm still near the school. Why?"

"Stay there. Teresa and Thomas are safe. We'll come and pick you up."

That was the day in which everything changed for everyone.

Little did she know, that day was never real.

Now (Y/N) was in her office, watching as her mom works on the other kids. Her eyes have only focused a certain boy who was acing all the tests like a pro. With him was a girl who was having the same marks as him. They gave each other a high five and went back into their separate rooms. Jealousy and longing burned inside of her as she saw both girl and boy walk together.

She sighed sadly as she closed the desktop. There was nothing she could do here. Her mom said that she needed her but she didn't want her to help with some things. Her mom knows that most of her friends are the subjects, she doesn't want her to get attached. But one thing she doesn't know is that she's already attached.

"(Y/N)," she heard someone at the other side of the door. She knew that it was her mom.

"Yes mom. What do you need?"

Ava came inside with Teresa, holding a bunch of vials filled with blood.

"What's all this?" She asked.

"These are the very first blood samples of all the subjects. I want you to see who is immune and who's not. I'm sure that you can handle this."

"Of course I can mom," she smiled at her. "Do you mind if I talk with Teresa?"

Ava's eyes shifted between (Y/N) and her friend. She knows how much their lives have changed ever since. She knows how much trouble she put (Y/N), but not even once did she get mad or complain. (Y/N) just stayed quiet and did as she was told. Ava was happy for that, which is why she wanted (Y/N) to have a friend. She knows that Teresa and Thomas are keeping her company but they're busy themselves.

"Of course," she said as she left.

"So why'd you want me to stay?" Teresa asked.

(Y/N) just shrugged as she took out everything she needed. "I just wanted to talk to you Teresa. I missed you. How are things with you and Thomas?"

"We're fine. Why are you asking?"

"Well you did say that you liked him before," (Y/N) smiled. She was really glad that she could still conjure up a normal conversation.

"That was before," Teresa blushed. "Times are different now (Y/N). This isn't the time or place for love."

(Y/N)'s smile turned into a frown. "I guess you're right."

"How are you doing?" Teresa asked.

"I'm fine," she replied.

"No really how are you doing?" Teresa repeated. "I know that you pretend that you're fine with everything. You can pull all that with your mom but it doesn't fool me."

"Everything has changed Teresa. It's not like my mom and I went to another country, it's the freaking apocalypse! I know that it's crazy but I don't feel safe. Even if I'm in here. You've seen all the zombie apocalypse movies we've seen, even if there's a safe haven. It always gets breached."

"Trust me (Y/N), this is the safest place in the world."

-

(Y/N) was up all night working on the blood samples. It was there she realized that half of the kids were immune while the other half were not. One of the ones who weren't immune was Newt. She started to cry because she knows the fate of the boy that she had a crush on ever since. She gave the results to her mom who was in her office.

"Mom, here are the results."

"Thank you. You may go."

She was about to leave but then Ava called her. "Wait, I need to talk to you. I almost forgot."

(Y/N) walked towards the desk with her hands behind her back. "What else do you need mom?"

"I'm going to assign you next week to be the one who takes the blood of the subjects. Which means that you'll also be the one who'll report to me any changes whatsoever that happens to them. Can you handle that?"

(Y/N) tried to stop the smile that was forming in her face. Finally, after weeks of doing completely nothing but just sitting down and watching, she'll finally be able to do something. Not that she doesn't count the job her mom gave her earlier wasn't a real job, but she was just glad that she could finally be able to interact with some of the subjects.

"Yes I can," she said.

"Good. No you may go. You start next week because you need to be taught how to do it."

"Ok. Goodnight mom."

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade