Chapter 10

That night, neither Newt or (Y/N) could go to sleep. The both of them had their sleeping bags beside each other. They had no idea what to say or what to do. Newt only nodded and said that he said glad that she was safe too. That was the only conversation that they had.

"(Y/N)," Newt whispered, knowing that she was still awake.

"Yeah?" She whispered back.

"What happened to you?" He asked her.

"What do you mean?"

"What did they do to you? What did WICKED do to you?"

"It doesn't matter," she told him. She inwardly shivered with the memories.

"How's your hand?" He asked her.

(Y/N) smiled and blushed since Newt still remembers when she was bitten on the bus. "It's alright. It's healed already."

Newt nodded, not saying anything.

"How are you?" She asked him.

"With all the buggin' things that are going on, I don't know anymore."

"Don't worry Newt," she told him. "Everything will be fine," she promised him. "I'll make sure of it."

Even if at the cost of my own life.

-

For the next few days, everyone just walked either by the lead of Jorge, Minho or Newt. (Y/N) didn't really talk with anyone and just kept to herself. She would only talk with Newt sometimes and Minho. She would only share a few short glances with Jorge. She wants to talk to him and she could see that he also wanted to talk to her but they need to find the right time and place. As far as the Gladers knew, they've just met. If they just randomly started to talk, they might get suspicious, especially Minho.

"Hey isn't that Thomas and the other chick?" Frypan said making everyone's ear perk up.

(Y/N) lifted her head and saw that Thomas was being held at gun point. Minho and Newt were about to go towards them and the other Gladers were ready to follow them. Before they did, both Jorge and (Y/N) stopped them.

"(Y/N) what the bloody hell are you doing?" Newt exclaimed, she can see how much both he and Minho wanted to save their friend.

"You seriously believe that there's just the two of them?" (Y/N) said.

"She's right," Jorge said. "There could be more of them around here."

"What do you suggest we do?" Minho asked crossing his arms.

"We ambush them," (Y/N) told them.

(Y/N) helped them plan their ambush. Jorge told them that these Cranks are almost past the Gone and all they basically do is that they party. They planned their ambush early in the morning when most of them were hungover.

"Someone needs to make sure that Thomas and Brenda will be safe," (Y/N) said.

The Gladers and Jorge were silent, they were still thinking who would go but (Y/N) already had her mind made up.

"That will be me," she said.

"No you're not," Newt interjected.

"Yes it will. They won't suspect a girl like me to be up to anything." Plus, I'm hungry, (Y/N) thought but didn't add.

The food that she was given wasn't enough and she was scared of getting too hungry and lose herself. It took a while but the Gladers and Jorge agreed with the plan. Newt was quite anxious to let (Y/N) go since he just got her back. He couldn't remember much but he knows that he loves her dearly, even until now. (Y/N) was given some stuff to keep herself protected but she didn't accept any of them, only the dagger that Newt forced her to bring.