Chapter 16

Present...

(Y/N) opened her eyes and felt someone right beside her. She was inside a sleeping bag and there was someone who had his arm around her. She turned her body around- not feeling any more pain- and saw that it was Newt who was right beside her and had his arm around her. (Y/N)'s eyes narrowed and she immediately shot up, waking up Newt in the process. She looked around with panic filling her eyes. She forgot what happened and has no idea what had happened.

"(Y/N)," Newt stood up putting his hand in front. "(Y/N) calm down."

"Wait. What," she took a breath. "What happened? How am I?"

"Just tell me what you remember first," Newt told her.

(Y/N) put her hand on her head. "I remember escaping from the Berg. Seeing Thomas with Group B. Thomas." She looked around. Frantically looking for him. "Thomas. Where's Thomas? He's not yet back?"

"No," Newt shook his head. "We don't know if he will come back."

"He will," (Y/N) said as a matter of fact. "He will come back. I'm sure of it." 

Of all the people they'll kill, it won't be Thomas.

"I remember leaving the Berg by coming down in the rope and hurting my," she lifted her hands, "hands," she looked at them and sighed when she saw them all healed. They were smooth as if nothing happened to them."Then I passed out," she continued. "What happened after that?"

"Sit down alright," he motioned to the sleeping bag.

(Y/N) did as he said and they both sat on the sleep in bag.

"You were on the ground," Newt started. "Your body all bruised and your hands were really bloody. I-I just- I couldn't stand seeing you like that. I was going to help you but most of the boys were arguing, saying that we should just leave you there. You know that I couldn't do that (Y/N). So Minho shut all the buggers up and we had an agreement that you'd be separated from them."

She looked around and saw that the Gladers were no where to be found.

"Where are they?" She asked, looking around.

"They're around. They just," Newt hesitated and (Y/N) knew what he meant.

"They're just scared huh. They think of me as a monster."

(Y/N)'s hands were beginning to ball into fists and her eyes were starting to get dark. When she remembered that Newt was in front of her, she let her hands and herself relax, for his sake.

"I'm sorry," Newt apologized for them.

"Why are you here Newt? Why did you help me?" She asked him. "I know that you don't fully remember me. As far as you know, I'm just a girl that you used to know. That you used to love."

"I know that," he said. "But I feel so bloody drawn to you (Y/N). I just want to be with you. You're always in my mind."

(Y/N) blushed and she smiled a little. "You don't mind that I'm a monster?"

"You're not a monster (Y/N). I don't think that."

(Y/N) lifted her head and saw Newt looking at her. He didn't look at her with the same love that she was used to but he did look at her with care and concern. (Y/N) knew that that was all she could get now and was thankful for it.

"Thank you," she said.

"Now what happened to you when you ran away? Tommy was bloody worried about you."

"Let's just say that I escaped from WICKED once again," she told him.

"But that's where we're going. What's the use of coming with us if where we're going is the place you're avoiding?" He asked her.

"It's because I promised something to myself and I plan to keep it."

"Mind if I know what that is?" He asked her.

"I promise to keep you safe Newt. I promise to give you the Cure," she told him.

"Wait, I have the Flare? I mean I knew that I'd get it at some point but not really now."

(Y/N) realized that she probably not tell Newt that he wasn't immune to the Flare. She remembered how depressed he was and she knew that he's still broken inside.

"Tommy said something," Newt continued. "He said that you were the Cure. How is that possible?"

"I just am. It's in my blood," she told him. "My blood can hold of the virus for a while but my blood mixed with Crank's blood is the Cure. WICKED put Crank's blood inside of me, now I am a half-Crank and half-human," she explained. "But the virus. The Crank's blood. It's taking over me Newt. Sometimes, I get so past the Gone that I have no idea if I'll ever get back to sanity. It's so scary."

Newt pulled her into a hug and it shocked her.

"Don't worry about anything (Y/N). I'm flattered that you want to keep me safe but whenever you need to come back to sanity, I'll be here. You can talk to me alright."

(Y/N) nodded. "Alright."

-

(Y/N) was allowed to come with them because of Newt's pleas, but she has to be in a certain distance from them. Some of the boys didn't really mind to have (Y/N) with them, but there were also others who minded. Minho took his place as the leader and just told them that (Y/N)'s coming whether they like it or not. She'd only be a safe distance from them which she accepted.

As they continued to walk, (Y/N)'s eyes were all on Newt. He was her top priority. Her promise still lingered in her mind and she knew that it was the only thing that could keep her sane.

Read

Love

Comment

Vote

Share

Follow

❤️ Once_Upon_A_Glade