Swimming Lessons Are For The Weak

"If you let go of me, I will kick you in the face." my threat fell off my dry tongue with very little anger in it. My mind was still on trying to get myself to stay afloat without being down by the tide.

"You aren't going to drown." Tobias shifted me in his arms with a smirk, "If anything, you're breasts will act as floatation devices." I gave him a dark look, not in the mood for his snide comments.

"One more remark out of you and I walk home and we forget about this whole swimming thing, understand?" I tried to put as much irritation and warning in the second threat as possible.

"You're no fun." he muttered, pulling me further into the water despite my kicking and squirming, "It's like all your idiot brothers took all the fun and drained it out of you."

"Let's go back to shore." I whispered, my mind drifting from his previous comment, "We're too far out, Toby. We're-"

"Calm down." my best friend cupped my wet cheek and stared down at me with a look of reassurance. "I've got you. I'm not going to let go until I know you're ready, Lex." I forced a smile, my arms tangled around the back of Toby's neck as I stared at the rushing water around us in horror.

"When you swim, you're going to have to push forward and kick your legs." he explained, making the gesture with one of his arms. I shook my head, feeling warmth continuing to spread through my cheeks.

"I don't want to do this." I croaked, hiding my face against his slippery shoulder.

"Alex, you're going to have to face your fears eventually. The best way is to do exactly what it is that you fear." He started to drop his arms from my back so my legs were in the water. I shook my head, staring at him in desperation.

"No!" I cried, "Tobias, stop!"

He started to untangle my hands from where they were wrapped securely behind his neck, but didn't let go as he pushed himself away, allowing my body to float upward and my arms to stretch out before me.

"Kick your legs." some part of me believed Tobias had done this before; had taught someone how to swim. I was just positive it hadn't been a sixteen year old girl who had been terrified of water her entire life.

"Alexis." Tobias' use of my full name caught my attention, "Kick."

I shut my eyes for a moment and let out a shaky sigh, trying to figure out how the hell children were able to do this without completely freaking out.

"I'm going to let go now. I need you to swim toward me." Tobias went on after I had followed his instruction. I gripped his wrist, shaking my head.

"Please don't." he laughed at the expression on my face.

"You can do it, Alex. You live with eight brothers, this can't possibly be the worst thing you've ever experienced."

*

After going back and forth in my mind, I decided to keep my clothes off and folded under the seat until we got back to my house. Tobias was going on about how I could improve certain techniques to get better, but I was zoning out half of the ride home and hardly heard a word he said.

When we finally stepped into my house, we were welcomed with the usual sight of my brothers sprawled out on the floor and couch, screeching like pterodactyls while playing one of their shooting games.

My eyes fell on Griffin first, the odd man out. He was lounging in Jace's old worn red bean bag chair with a book. I could barely get over the initial shock that he could actually read something other than the back of a cereal box.