Pads and Dads

Griffin drove us to Smart Mart in Callaway Center instead of being logical and going to the CVS a few blocks away.

Considering it was after dark, the streets were fairly dead and we were able to make it into town in twenty minutes. Griffin slowed to a stop in front of the store, the car still purring with life.

"Hurry up." he ushered me out of the car. I stuck my tongue out childishly and darted in through the automatic doors. I had been in the store enough times grocery shopping to know exactly what isle the feminine products were in.

I could feel the only remaining cashier's eyes on me from across the room, obviously exhausted and wanting her shift to end so she could go home. As I made my way down the isle in search of my brand of pads, I sighed. They had restocked the shelves and put the only brand I wore at the top, too high for me to reach, even on my tippy toes. By the looks of it, the petite cashier was the only other person on the floor right now.

Instead of bugging her, I hurried back out to Griffin's Challenger, catching him by surprise, "Where are your products?"

"I can't reach them." I whispered, feeling warmth spread through my cheeks. The look on Griffin's face told me that this was quite possibly one of the only times he hated himself for being abnormally tall.

"Let me go park the car." he grumbled, shifting the clutch so it was in drive and pulling into one of the vacant parking spots. I wrapped my arms around myself, staring down at the inches of loose sleeve that my arms couldn't fit all the way through until Griffin walked up, swinging his car keys around his finger.

"Come on." he nodded his head in the direction of the store and continued walking. I hurried after him, silently cursing myself for being so short.

Once we were back in, I saw the girl behind the counter perk up at the sight of Griffin. I jabbed at his arm playfully, gesturing toward the girl with a nod in her direction. He followed my eyes and smiled, but didn't do his signature wink and smile. I frowned, shaking off the strangeness of his actions as he reached up and grabbed my pads from the top shelf with ease.

"Thank you." I said in a hushed whisper, clutching the package of pads against my chest. He shrugged his left shoulder and led me toward the registers, grabbing a bag of chips and a chocolate bar and tossing them on to the counter with my pads.

"Together or separate?" the girl's voice was quiet, her cheeks flushing in the presence of Griffin. I opened my mouth to respond, but Griffin tossed a twenty on the counter and took the bag from the girl.

"Keep the change." I stared after my brother's best friend, then took off after him. I nearly tripped over my own foot a few times before I was able to reach him by the car.

"Hey!" I slapped my hands against my knees and struggled to take in a full breath of air.

"You seriously need to work out more." Griffin commented from the driver's seat, "Get in. I'm tired and I don't want to have to carry you."

I pulled the door open and slid in, throwing my head back against the seat and taking in as many deep breaths as I could.

"You need water or something?" the joking tone in Griffin's voice was gone, a half full bottle of water in his hand.

"Why'd you pay for the pads?" I choked out, fighting against the retractor for my seatbelt. When it didn't budge, Griffin reached across me and gave it a gentle tug. It instantly straightened out and he strapped it across me.

"They were four dollars, Alex. It's not a big deal." he started the car, a peaceful look becoming visible when it began to purr.

"My brothers always make me pay for them." I took a loose strand of my hair and tucked it under my beanie, "So thanks."