I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kiss You

"The color really brings out your eyes." my aunt's kind compliment seeped into my deep train of thought and shattered anything that was left.

I smoothed out the blue band tee and faced my reflection in the mirror hanging over the small dresser. "I don't really think I should keep-"

"Your mother would have loved for you to have it. This was one of her favorite shirts." she rested her chin on my shoulder and smiled at the image of the two of us, a longing clear in her eyes.

It was hard to stare at myself in the small mirror; I looked absolutely horrendous, like I'd walked straight out of zombie movie.

My hair was in a messy, tangled ponytail on my head, my cheeks drained to a point where little color remained. Even my body was slouched, as if all of my hopes and dreams had been taken and washed away.

"I'll let you get back to your boyfriend, I'm sure he's missing you." she patted my shoulder and ducked out of the room before I could deny what she said. I sat back on the bed Griffin and I had shared last night, the sheets and comforter a tangled mess thanks to the giant that had been sleeping beside me.

The second his head hit the pillow, he was out like a light. With his sleep he brought obnoxious snores, inches from my ear the entire night. There was already a chance I wouldn't get much sleep, but having a hog in your ear for twelve hours definitely doesn't help.

Forcing myself back up from the bed, I fixed the sheets and blanket before falling back on top of them, burying my face against the pale blue pillow.

"Sleeping Beauty, I know you're awake." Griffin's quiet voice echoed through the room, "I've got bagels."

I rolled over to face him in the doorway, frowning when I saw how soaked the light gray shirt he had on was, "What, did you run into a small rainstorm on your way into the shop?"

He laughed without emotion, "I jogged there, actually. I needed my morning run and felt it'd be great if I could get a reward for it."

I watched as he tossed the bag on the bed beside me, shrugging. I plucked a chocolate chip bagel from the bag and picked at it.

"You disgust me, Griffin." I stated loudly. He chuckled.

"Why is that?"

"Because you run every morning. Who runs every morning?" I gestured toward myself, "I seriously need to work out."

He crossed the room and threw himself on to the bed, "I agree. You know, a great way to burn excess calories is-"

"If you say sex, I'll punch you in the throat." I threatened, narrowing my eyes. Griffin smirked, stuffing another piece of his bagel in his mouth as he spoke.

"I was going to say running, but hey, I'm totally game if you want to burn some calories that way." he winked.

"Can I ask you something?" I asked once a few minutes of silence had passed.

"I'm not in the mood right now, if that's your question." he stifled a laugh. I sat up, staring down at the small piece of bagel in between my fingers.

"What's up, Alex?" he was serious again, propping his head on his hand as he turned to face me.

"Do you like me?"

"Of course I like you. I would have ditched you a long time ago if I didn't." He tried at a joke, but the tense air ate it seconds after it left his mouth.

"I mean. . . Griffin, are you in love with me?" I watched a dumbfounded expression fall on his face. I saw his jaw clench, a muscle twitching.

"Why would you ask that?" he whispered.