Breaking The Shell Is Hell

"You're going to need to scrub a little harder." I did my best to maintain my composure as I gestured toward the dirty bathroom wall. Jace's lip curled back in disgust; I was sure if he had the chance, he'd been biting my head off. Considering Luke and Eliott were perched on the bath tub and toilet seat, I knew he wouldn't say a word to me knowing he'd get attack from either side.

"Best punishment ever." Luke said, flashing our brother a smirk. Jason gave made a gesture with his finger at the oldest Harrison. I took it as my cue to leave and walked out, ready to check on Griffin and James mopping in the kitchen.

Walking in, the last thing I expected was to find Dad sitting at the table with a manila folder beneath his coffee mug.

"Dad?" I said, surprised, "What are you doing home? Aren't you supposed to be at work?"

I had my entire day planned out perfectly. I'd make sure the losing team had started our chores, then take the Xbox and play for a while without their constant bickering on either side of me. Toby would come over after work at the beach for our next swimming lesson. Then I'd have the TV to myself all night while the boys all passed out from all the work they had done all day.

Dad sitting at the end of the table in the middle of the day completely disrupted my plans.

"I took the day off." he responded quietly.

"Oh." I stood awkwardly beside the table, "Why?"

"I thought we could spend some time together." He smiled, "Have some Daddy-Daughter time." I could hear a quiet snicker come from inside the kitchen.

"You stopped being Daddy when I was ten." I replied.

"Well, whatever it is you want to call me shouldn't matter. Do you want to go get ice cream or-"

"I'm good, Dad." I started to back out of the room, "Just so you know, I'm lactose intolerant."

*

My day went downhill after my conversation with Dad. The boys all finished their chores early and took the living room, taking away any hopes I had of playing the Xbox or watching TV.

I ended up in my room, going through the piles of trash, dirty laundry, and miscellaneous items thrown all around my messy room. I could have forced one of the losing team members to come in and help me, but there was something calming about cleaning my room and letting my music play quietly as background noise.

I sat down at the foot of my bed so I could clean underneath it. I had been stuffing everything down there ages; I was honestly a little afraid of what I might find.

It turned out to be a lot of trash and clothes. I threw everything away a little too quickly, scared I might get sick of something had bacteria on it.

I frowned a little in surprise when my hand slammed against something hard. I lowered myself on to the ground and grabbed my phone, shining the flashlight under the bed so I could see what my hand had struck.

It was a small pink box with my name in a beautiful handwritten cursive. I gave it a tug, huffing out a frustrated sigh when it didn't budge. I sat up and moved my body around so I was on my back and my feet were under the bed. I started kicking at the box until it finally broke free. I crawled around to the other side of my bed, pushing my comforter up so I could get a clear view of the box.

It was a gift box, a baby shower present by the looks of the tag on it. I pulled it toward me with slight hesitation. I had absolutely no memory of ever putting a pink box under my bed, and it had obviously been hidden beneath for a reason.