P. S I Love You

"Alexis,

I'm sorry to inform you that my daughter no longer resides here. She moved out years ago and I am no longer certain of her location.

If you do, however, find the location of my daughter, I believe it would be best if you didn't contact her. She is trying to get her life back together and the last thing she needs is the daughter she gave up coming back into her life.

Your father ruined my little girl's life, and you were the result of that, Alexis. I'm not saying you ruined my girl's life, you were only an innocent infant. But your father was a deceptive bastard that impregnated my underage daughter when she had barely started her life.

I do understand that this must be a lot for you to handle, and I am sorry that your father never told you about your mother, though it does not come as a surprise to me. He was never one to be truthful or stay faithful.

My hatred is for your father, not you, dear girl. But it would be best if you stopped this right now. I want you to try and forget you ever found out about your mother, because she doesn't need this in her life now. She needs to worry about her future, not what past mistakes she made.

Again, please do not try and contact my daughter.

Best Regards,

Anne Garner

My heart sunk in my chest as I reread the brick of text, tears blurring my vision. I was about to throw the paper in my waste basket when I found another sheet, folded even smaller, taped to the back of a photograph.

The girl was in a hospital room, a small newborn in her arms. It was similar to one of the photos I had found in the box. Her blonde hair was matted against her forehead, her blue eyes rimmed with tears. But the look in her eyes as she stared down at the infant was one that couldn't be missed. The look was pleading, as if she were begging the baby for forgiveness before anything was done.

I unfolded the small paper, shocked to find it was handwritten.

My wife can be cold at times. I am sorry to hear of this, and I am sure your mother would be more than happy to explain. I do wish I was able to tell you where my princess is, but sadly, I cannot. She has not contacted us in years, love. I would love to meet you, sweetheart, and maybe someday my wife will come around to the idea as well. If you would ever like to meet or talk, I have left my number below.

Sorry I can't help.

With Love,

Your Grandfather

After reading what Anna had wrote, the last thing I wanted to do was try to reach out to my grandfather. My grandmother obviously wanted absolutely nothing to do with me, and I'd give her the wish.

"Alex, honey. I was-what's wrong?" Aliyah paused in front of my door, her knuckle halfway to the hard wood. I slowly lowered myself back on to my bed and curled into something close to a fetal position, refusing to allow the tears to escape my eyes.

"Lexi?" my stepmom tried again, crouching down beside my bed so she was eye level with me. "Did something happen?"

When I didn't answer, her eyes drifting to the crumbled paper and photo on my comforter. She stared at it skeptically before uncrumbling the letter.

"What a witch." she let out a frustrated growl, tossing the paper on to the ground and pushing my head up. She slid onto the bed and laid my head on her lap, her finger tangling themselves in my messy hair as she stared at the wall ahead of her with a sad smile.