New Horizons

There's a color the sky is illuminated with every day at sunset.

Every day for the next two weeks, I crawled on to my window sill and watched Griffin sitting on the roof outside, the way the brightened his face.

He came out every evening and perched in the same spot, his eyes on a peachy pink streak that looked as if it had been painted on by a large brush. He would press his legs against each other and old his arms on top of them before resting his head on them and closing his eyes. I was almost a serene feeling for me watching him so peaceful. I knew there were thousands of thoughts bouncing around in his head, but they hadn't broke through and spilled on to his face.

I took five minutes out of every day to come and watch the sun set with him; despite living in the same house, we hadn't really spent much time together.

He continuously got up before the birds and went jogging, and by the time I got up, he was back at the school with Jace and the rest of the team for practice. I was at work when he was on his way home, and dinner he had refused to show up to dinner lately and would force Jason to bring it to him.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed. Over the last couple months, Griffin had become a good friend. He had helped me through what I was sure I couldn't face. He had showed me how much potential and strength I had buried beneath.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" he broke the silence and smiled over his shoulder. New lines of exhaustion had formed around his eyes and mouth.

I returned the smile, "It is."

"How's Evan doing?" I knew he was attempting small talk and a part of me was relieved to see the smile playing on his lips.

"Great. Aliyah and I are planning on surprising him with Mom visiting for the first time. The rehab center is allowing her to leave if my aunt accompanies her." I knew very well that I was blabbering, but he didn't seem to mind.

"That's great." A genuine smile lit up his face, "I'm happy for you."

"Griffin-" I started.

"What's going on with me isn't your problem, Alex. I have to deal work through my own issues." I shut my eyes at the response I'd heard on repeat for the last two weeks.

"If it isn't your family or practice bothering you, then it must be me." I threw my hands up in exasperation, "Just grow a pair and kiss me already."

My words quite possibly shocked me more than they did him. His hand slipped from the shingle and he nearly went tumbling off the roof, his mouth hanging open and eyes looking moments from popping from their sockets.

"D. . .you. . . . do. . ." He stuttered, shaking his head.

"Is The Griffin Young at a loss for words?" I teased, "Did I render you speechless?"

My joking tone was nothing like the hurricane of emotions splashing around inside me. I was so nervous to hear his answer that my entire body felt like it was sweating. The illogical part of me that had let it escape me in the first place was eager for him to move across the room and make the move.

I had been so caught up in the importance of my family and life that I hadn't realized that I'd missed one of the biggest problems. If I didn't let Griffin know I understood; I'd loose one of my best friends and surprisingly enough, I didn't want that.

I looked down at my crossed legs, "Sorry, I don't know where that came from. Toby and Rowan have been urging me to say it for a few days and Evan. . . he thinks I should just give into my desires for once and be a teenager."