What Do You Do

"Best pizza I've ever tasted." Griffin's muffled compliment sent Lucas into a laughing fit.

Between Lucas' obnoxiously nasally laugh and Griffin speaking with his mouth full, it felt as if every pair of eyes in the pizzeria had fallen on us. We had been in New York less than four hours and I already felt out of place.

"We better head over to Kat's and figure out our plans for the next couple days before we forget." Lucas tossed his crust and empty bottle of soda before smacking a hand against Griffin's shoulder blade until he joined us.

I kept my head down and hands buried deep in my pant pockets as we headed back to our rental car, Griffin and Lucas shouting back and forth on who should have the privilege of driving across town to the suburbs.

"If you two don't stop, I will call a Taxi and go there myself." I snapped, crossing my arms. The boys fell silent, eyes on me.

"I guess New York really does change people." Luke shook his head as he muttered quietly to himself. Griffin held the back door open for me when we reached the car, a hint of a smile forcing itself to his face.

"We've got to get you out of this depression, Lex. I can't have you looking as if someone ran over your puppy the entire time we're here." he pushed the door shut with a wink.

I curled up against the car door, resting my head against the window and watching the smog ridden city blur into nothing behind us and fade into the bright green as we entered suburbia.

The boys continued a quiet conversation in front, laughing on occasion. I was too tired and exhausted to try and listen or join in. All I wanted was a nice, comfy bed and a fluffed pillow so I could clear my mind of everything for a little while.

My head felt as if it were on overload with everything rushing in and out of it. It drifted from Evan to Toby. I had to decide before I went back home what I was going to do with Evan and the entire situation there. Everything inside me wanted to help, to give him what he needed. They still needed to check my blood, but everyone seemed sure that I would be a match. And Toby, Toby's words had left a bitter taste in my mouth.

He hadn't taken into consideration what I might have been feeling about the trip; he hardly asked. He had been set on trying to get the thought of Griffin being anything more than a friend out of my head. Where that became any of his business was still beyond me. I didn't need a boyfriend right now, not with everything that was going on. I needed to focus on myself and my brothers. On finding my mother. The last thing I wanted to do was think about dating Griffin, or any guy for that matter.

"Is she asleep?" I heard Luke's faint whisper from the driver's seat. The sound of a door opening had me prying my eyes back open. I stared through half open eyes to find Griffin gently opening my door. He shook his head, a smirk on his face as he looked back over the car at my brother.

"Yeah, man. You go ahead, I'll carry her in." I started to sit up as Lucas turned his back to us, ready to call after him, but Griffin swooped me into his arms and nudged the door shut before I could. It wasn't such a bad thing, being carried bridal style up the front porch of a house; it conserved my energy.

"Smile." Griffin demanded, staring down at my hands pressed against his chest.

"Why? I have nothing to be happy about." I responded. The smile on his own face faded instantly and his expression returned to the cold signature Griffin I knew.

Lucas was at the front door once Griffin stepped on to the porch, talking to a petite read head that looked nothing like the girl I remembered Luke dating Freshman year. She smiled weakly at whatever my brother was saying and stepped out of the doorway to allow him in. Her eyes glistened with amusement when they fell on us a few feet back.