Sick Of All The Insincere

Weaving through the crowds at the mall was easy; it was dragging Aliyah out before she could buy the entire store that had me exhausted by the time we started heading for the food court.

"I'm so happy you decided to do this." She threw a grin at me a few steps behind over her shoulder, "I don't think any of the boys enjoy shopping."

"They don't, trust me." I shuddered dramatically at the memory of my brothers shooting in and out of isles with spray guns the last time I took them to the grocery store with me.

"So, do you care to explain what's going on?" She sat down at a vacant table, one of her dark eyebrows arched. "I don't remember you taking an interest in going shopping with me before."

I shifted on the bench, my eyes on the glistening table top so I didn't have to face my stepmother.

"Alex." there was a warning in her voice, "What's going on?"

"Griffin and I were fighting and-" I broke off when I saw realization flicker in her eyes, her head starting to shake.

"Of course that's what this is about." she reached up and rubbed her forehead, "Alex, sweetheart, why didn't you just tell him to jump off a cliff like you always do? Why'd you take what he said to heart?"

"Because it's true." I whispered, afraid if I looked up again I'd start crying, "I don't even know what the hell mascara is, Aliyah." she stretched her hand across the table and rested it on mine.

"Honey, you could of asked me for help or advice any time you needed it. I'd be more than happy to show you how to put on make-up." Aliyah's smile grew, "Not that you need it. You're already gorgeous, and if Griffin is going to sit and pretend he can't see that, it's his loss." I nodded, laughing through my tear filled eyes.

After going back and forth between restaurants, Aliyah's eventually just got food and set it down between us. We didn't really talk all that much as we ate, but I could see in Aliyah's eyes that she was holding something back.

"You know, when guys pick on girls, it's usually because they like them." was the first thing she set after we had ate for a few. I laughed, avoiding her suggestive look.

"When they're five." I rolled my eyes.

"You've known Griffin since you were five," she pointed out, "and he has teased and taunted you far more than all of your brother's combined."

There were times I had to check to make sure Aliyah was actually old enough to be with my father. Sometimes she acted as if she were my age with the way she would tease us and dress.

"He's like one of my brother's. Thinking of him as anything more makes me want to throw up in my mouth." I exaggerated, watching a look of disbelief take place of her smile.

"I don't think he'd say the same thing." she muttered under her breath. Before I had a chance to respond, a loud squeal escaped someone and a woman in her late twenties or thirties slapped her hands against the table.

"Aliyah Cooke?" She gasped, giving my stepmom a once over, "Oh My God, it's been ages!" I saw a disgusted look pass through Aliyah's eyes as she stood up and greeted the woman.

"Oh, and this must be your daughter!" the woman finally turned and faced me, allowing me to get a good look at her.

I could see how Aliyah could find the woman disgusting. Her entire face was caked in make-up, to a point where she looked as if she were getting ready to perform at a circus. Her breasts were hanging out of her shirt and looked the furthest thing from real. But there was no denying that under the fake boobs, pounds of make-up, and tight clothes, that there was a beautiful woman underneath. Something told me that there was also some sort of bitterness between them.