Last One Standing

With all the boxes stacked in Lucas' apartment, I was sure we could built a fort.

By the way James and Johnny kept eying them, I was positive they had the same idea. Lucas and Jace were in the kitchen, one perched on the edge of the small kitchen table, the other on the counter, sipping on Coke's.

"I can't believe you're actually moving out for good man." Johnny mumbled, ruffling his hair, "The house is going to suck without you there."

I rocked back and forth on my heels, looking up from my phone, "Gee, thanks, Johnny. I love you too."

He tackled me into a bone crushing hug before I could stop him, my phone flying from my hand and hitting the ground hard. I squirmed, reaching out for it, but he was carrying me across the large, open space with a lopsided grin.

"I didn't mean that. There's just a small part of me that's going to miss having Luke there to boss us all around." he said, setting me down on the recliner Aliyah had bought for the apartment a few days ago.

"You mean to tell me that Johnny Harrison actually has feelings?" I gasped dramatically, feigning shock. He flicked the side of my head and swiped my phone from the ground, smiling sheepishly as he held it back out to me. I groaned at the sight of the crack along the screen, knowing very well the only way to get a new one was if I talked to Dad and he had absolutely no idea what I had planned for Evan at the hospital tonight.

"Dude, you broke my phone!" I snapped, slapping his arm repeatedly. He pulled me into a hug and kissed my temple.

"I'll buy you a new one as soon as I get my paycheck." He promised. I rolled my eyes and turned my attention back to the brothers watching us in amusement.

"You guys are gonna take care of this one, right?" Luke asked the triplets, pointing in my direction with the neck of his soda bottle. Jace snorted, James rolled his eyes, and Johnny smirked.

"Of course." they said at once, flashing me devious looks.

I turned to Lucas, horrified by their answer. All four of my brothers fell into a fit of laughter, after a moment of watching, I joined in.

*

"I was at the mall and saw these really nice pair of red sneakers and thought Evan might like them." Rowan outstretched her hand, the bag between her fingers dangling back and forth. I took it from her hesitantly, not sure what to do or say next.

Being around guys my entire life, it was like I was meeting a new species when it came to talking to Rowan. She actually understood what I talked about. Since Toby left a few days ago, she'd been trying to hang around me more, as if him being gone was a peace offering in disguise. I really didn't mind, having her, someone on the outside, to talk to was nice.

I could sit and talk to her about my feelings for Griffin, how I felt about my mother, and my constant worry about my brothers without even so much as being judged or getting a biased answer.

It was a plus that she gagged at the sight of my brothers, with the exception of Evan, and looked at them like they were the most disgusting creatures to ever walk the planet. What she didn't understand was that I couldn't agree more.

"Do you think he'll like them?" she repeated, hopeful. I nodded slowly, grinning.

"I'm sure he will. He likes you too, so the sneakers won't really be what he's focusing on." I nudged her arm playfully. She blinked, then blushed in the matter of seconds.